Winter???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Soonerguy33, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Soonerguy33

Soonerguy33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Do i need to do any thing special to winterize my coop? heat, etc? all info is greatly appreciated

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    What kind of chickens do you have?? How cold does it get where you live? What is your coop like?

3. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Just make sure its blocked from the wind and they should do just fine. they produce enough heat to keep themselves warm if they dont have to deal with the wind.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    #1California Chick :

What kind of chickens do you have?? How cold does it get where you live? What is your coop like?

Answers to these questions would help us help you. I know how your winters are, but what is your coop set-up and what breeds do you have?​

5. Soonerguy33

Soonerguy33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Oklahoma
    No wind since they are blocked on side of house...Temps get to mid teens...I was thinking about buying some foam insulation for inside of coop since it was made from pressed particle board

6. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Do not put foam inside the coop, or your chickens will be full of foam. If they have large combs, try maybe putting a little vaseline on their combs in super-cold weather.

BTW everybody, his breeds are listed in his signature line. [​IMG]

7. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I don't do anything for the winters. They live just like they do in the summer and I haven't seen one of my chickens yet even act like they were cold in the winters...... The cold colds get around 28 F here.

8. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Being that you live in OKlahoma, I don't think you need to do very much. The chickens should keep eachother pretty warm. Just watch out for drafts and I think you'll be good. [​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Our coop is insulated with 1/2" insulation board, but you'll need to cover it because they do eat it. Helps keep the coop cooler in summer too.
    No drafts and good ventilation and you should be fine. If we get a bad winter - and I'm betting we will this year - you made need to vaseline up any combs that are large.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by