1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

winter

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kerrie Ann, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Kerrie Ann

Kerrie Ann Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    What are any ones thoughts on this subject - to light or not to light that is the question? I live in the eastern part of Ma will my chickens be ok with out a heat lamp? I have golden comments. Also what do you do about the water?

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

I am doing a heated waterer. No real additional light. I have a rope light in each coop on a timer that will just basically brighten up the day for them. I do not plan to heat the coops but I like having the option, we get spells here that can be 20 BELOW for the high. Those days don't come often and don't last long but still.

3. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    Hey does anyone know how to change the thing under your name mine says" new egg " and I do not know how to change it. Thanks for the info.

4. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    I use a light bulb that gives off a FULL SPECTRUM light during the day. My vet who is a zoo veterinarian recommended that to me. He says that it helps the animals at the zoo stay healthy through the winter.

I try to get my hens as much sunlight as I can also. I have a green house where they can go when the sun is out and of course anytime it is warm enough, I give them the option to get outdoors.

I also use a heat lamp when it is below 35 degrees. I use a red bulb in it and that is easier on the eyes for them. I definitely use the red heat lamp at night.
    Sure they can survive but if a lightbulb in the day and a heat lamp at night makes their life good - why not?

Been doing that for 4 winters and never had trouble and I do make sure my lamp is secure to the ceiling and the bulb is gently but securely screwed in. I check it each and every day.
    I also use a heated water bowl.

My hens live long and lay long! I had a 7 year old laying. You get what you give!

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

6. Kerrie Ann

Jul 22, 2011
    Berkley , Ma
    OMG that is funny so I am a new egg.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Fire risk. Most chicken coops not built to meet code.

Bumping up caloric intake also helps birds keep warm. Continous supply of liquid water is prudent when most of intake is dry chicken feed.

8. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Quote:It will change as you continue to make more posts. You will notice that everyone who has a certain range of posts has the same title. I think mine has changed twice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by