Winter

atkinsonboy91

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 17, 2013
Seeing as how winter is fastly approaching I was wondering do you let your chickens out side during the winter time and do you need to give them light

Your chickens will want some outside time daily for fresh air whether free ranging or out in the run. Ours go out every day unless it storms all day long or during blizzard conditions. They don't need a light but we add a brooder lamp in the coop during the depths of Winter. Hope this helps!

I don’t know where you are located or what kind of winter weather you are talking about. That could make a difference.

Chickens don’t like change. Often when they first see snow they stay away from it, but if it is on the ground a few days most will eventually walk in it, especially if some weeds or grass is sticking up through it so they can forage. I’ve had some stay in the coop two days when they first saw snow, but eventually they went out in it. Some even waded through 9” to go check out the compost heap where they usually like to scratch and eat. This snow fell a couple of hours before I took the photo. It was during the day and they never went inside.

I took this photo when it was 4 degrees Fahrenheit above zero a few years ago. I left the pop door open and gave them the option. They went outside. It was pretty calm though. If a cold wind is hitting them, they will seek shelter. Cold doesn’t bother them but a cold wind does.

I don’t know where you are or what conditions you are facing, but just open the pop door and let them decide.

I don’t know how far from the equator you are so I don’t have a clue how long your nights are. That makes it hard to give you a specific answer. They need enough light to eat and drink so they don’t starve to death or die of thirst. Unless you live real close to the Arctic Circle you probably don’t need to provide any light. That also assumes you have a window or two in your coop so they can see to eat and drink if they don’t go outside.

I live in Indiana and they eat at night at some point because I fill all there feeders up that are in the coop and its empty by morning. I want them to continue to lay eggs during winter so will I need to put a light up for that

Our chickens think snow is just cold wet bug killer we cruelly spread everywhere when they weren't looking. Our frizzle put one foot down on snow for
the first time and picked it up right away and looked at me like, "What the hell?"

I live in Indiana and they eat at night at some point because I fill all there feeders up that are in the coop and its empty by morning. I want them to continue to lay eggs during winter so will I need to put a light up for that

I don't think the chickens are jumping down in the dark and having a mid-night snack. You birds are having company of some kind, probably mice, or rats. Might want to put the food away at night, and set some traps and/or poison bait stations.

Back
Top Bottom