WINTER

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newducklady11, Nov 8, 2014.

1. newducklady11

newducklady11 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    PNW
    First cold weather with my two ducks. What do I start to do. I can tell that my Welsh Harlequin is starting to get a little chilled. My step dad won't let me get out the heat lamp until it starts snowing/ in the 20s. If I use more hay they just poop a bunch and mat it down. Should I put blankets against their coop to try to insulate it? Any other ideas on how to keep their coop dry?? Thanks!! I have two ducks that are around 7 months. First cold weather/winter. Do I still let them go in their pool? I'm worried!!!

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

This is what I've been told it's my first winter with ducks is well I'm in Canada and it's already starting hit -10 at night they are doing fine in an insulated coop, my ducks are Rouen ducks so there bit bigger than the harlequins but I don't think you need to be so worried... they're probably getting out of the pool and drying off before bedtime a dark anyway right? Mine are so until it freezes I'm solid I'm leaving their pool, just as long as they're drying off before bed. Someone else recommended treats at bedtime so they get a nice full belly and move around, get their body temperatures up before going to sleep. And as long as they're out of the wind they should do really well they've been outside the whole time haven't they? If so they've been given enough time to get used to the weather as it's changed, they probably gotten thicker down underneath all those nice feathers and a little more fat... They will probably start eating more and burning those extra calories will help them stay warm. You probably don't need a heat lamp even after it snows as long as They've got four walls and a roof....

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    First of all, ducks wear down jackets!!! As long as they are healthy, well fed, have thawed water and are able to get out of the wind and precipitation at will, they should be fine.
    Straw is a way better insulator than hay. Straw is hollow and traps air, which insulates. Hay just gets wet and matted as you found out. Heat lamps are dangerous. Period. Especially with hay. Plus with almost adult ducks, putting the lamp in will do more harm than good. They will go from warm to cold and back and not acclimate to the winter temps.
    Swimming in winter is fine. I use a bird bath heater to keep water unfrozen in their pool and a heated dog bowl for drinking/face washing water. I suggest that you feed some cracked or whole corn along with regular pellet food. I also like to supplement with some chopped veggies since they cannot free range and eat natural foods in winter. The corn will help keep them in good weight and help supply internal warmth.
    Keeping ducks clean is nearly impossible. I would just make sure you muck out their area daily. Remove wet and soiled bedding, replace with clean and dry. It helps to put something down under water dish. We use a heated dish, in a larger flat feed pan, set upon the top from a rubbermaid container. The top is much larger than the dishes and catches a lot of water they dribble. Also, if they get in the water dishes, place a narrow board with maybe a large rock or brick on it so they can drink and wash face but not swim in it and splash water around and soak their area.

4. hennible

Times two on the part.... Well all of it, but extra emphasis on them not making a mess in their area with the water dishes.
    [​IMG]
    Cut a hole in a 5 gallon bucket put the lid on it... works really well for me

5. stm121184

stm121184 New Egg

Nov 8, 2014
    China, TX
    Wow. So down here in TX I am worried about a cold snap bringing it down to 39 degrees as the low next week... for chickes and ducks in a pen with a 4 wall/roof coop, do I not need the heat lamps? We maybe get below 32 degrees 6 times a year.

6. hennible

Mine do fine at -30°C .... no lamps. That's the chickens because it's my first winter ducks... But I plucked both and let me tell you ducks have a heck of a lot more feathers :D

7. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX

I'm in TX as well and I have a 3 sides coop. I haven't decided if I'm going to cover the open side yet or not. I was thinking plexi glass over 1/2 the open area. I may play it by ear since it is suppose to get windy during the day and just be cold at night. When it gets down into the teens and 20's I will cover it up but we still have a bit of time till then.

8. stm121184

stm121184 New Egg

Nov 8, 2014
    China, TX
    Awesome. Thanks! We dont get into the 'teens here.

9. joes ducks

joes ducks New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    We acquired 3 wood ducks . Are they good for winter?

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old are they? if adult you might want to give them a nice cozy safe house to snuggle in during worst weather. If ducklings they may have to winter inside especially if they don't have adult feathers yet.

Welcome to BYC and you can also ask this question on the ornamental thread 2nd down from this one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by