1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cl0ud, Nov 18, 2014.

1. cl0ud

cl0ud Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I've got two Buff Orpingtons, they're both three months old.
    I've looked at some other threads about winter weather, but I still worry.
    I live in Pennsylvania, so our winters aren't the worst, but they're not easy.

My ducks love swimming in a little duck pond we put in. Last night it frosted over the top, not a real freeze, and this morning they were swimming again. When i was out with them, I picked them up and I felt that their feathers had little frozen bits in them.

Is it normal for this to happen in cold winters and is it okay?

2. RouenDuck

RouenDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    It's happened to my ducks before, so I would say yes, it is normal. I'm sorry I can't really be of any help though, I haven't figured out a good way to keep it from happening.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes it is normal and okay.

At the same time, you are right to be paying close attention. We are expecting the next - what, 30 hours or so to be below freezing? With just the two, they would not generate a whole lot of heat to keep a shelter warm. At the same time, with just two, you could bring them into a utility room pretty easily, I would think.

Each duck is different, you need to observe their behavior and if they show signs of getting a chill, get them to a warmer spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by