winter!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sydneygirl89, Nov 21, 2014.

1. sydneygirl89

sydneygirl89 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2014
    Vacaville, California
    So it's getting colder outside at night nowadays. Im not sure if my chickens will be warm enough! I have three, one ameracauna( Miley), one aracauna(Glenn), and one cochin(jenni). They have a mainly wood coop,(it's half fence, half house) and it has a chicken wire front with a dog gate thing for me and them to get in and out of, and they have a perch, a rectangle box thing, and then they sleep on top of the box. Miss Miley has recently been sleeping inside the box(there's a towel in there) and I think she's been pretty warm. I'm worried about the other two because they're stubborn and don't like to be too close to each other! They have a fuzzy material seperating them from the fence and wind (ocasionally rain when it actually rains here in california!!) Could I put material on the outside of the box so that it would be warmer? this is the box with Glenn in it. [​IMG]

2. boersmamrs

boersmamrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2014
    Its been 8 degrees here for the past week with 4 feet of snow. My chickens water freezes every two hours, they are fine. I wouldn't worry... you're in California?

3. sydneygirl89

May 12, 2014
    Vacaville, California
    @boersmamrs Ok thanks. Yes I live in California

4. boersmamrs

boersmamrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2014
    I would worry more about them being too warm. :p

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Where in California?
    You can put your location in your profile, helps folks give better answers when they know your climate.

How cold at night?
    As long as the roost area is blocked from any direct strong drafts (literally no ruffling of feathers) and the coop is nice and dry inside (good ventilation) they should be fine.

You really don't want them sleeping in the nest boxes, or you'll have poopy eggs.
    The roost should be at least a foot higher than the nests and of a good size to be comfortable, 2x4 wide side up is great with at least a foot of roost length per bird. You might need to 'train' them to not sleep in the nests.

6. sydneygirl89

May 12, 2014
    Vacaville, California
    @aart I live in Vacaville California. it's nor cal. They aren't laying right now, maybe one egg every few days but I don't mind poopy eggs, neither does my parents. Only Miley sleeps in the nest, (she's the smart one, it's warmest in there!) but the other two sleep on top of the nest where there is a wooden platform about 4.5 feet long ,1.5 feet wide(estimates) and the nest is the same size but it has walls. My chickens sometimes have problems with being "nice" to eachother. Jenni has never liked Miley, and she pecks her often. I have stopped it a huge amount by isolating jenni for a day or so after Miley got hurt. Jenni wanted attention too. The problem fixed it self a little bit when Miley's feathers on her neck grew back and now she just pecks her wherever she wants if Miley tries to do something she's doing, and at night if Miley gets too close. That may be another reason why Miley's been in the nest. We also have a square pole thing( I don't know what to call it) it's sort of a roost and they only sleep on that during the summer when it's hot. But pretty much my coop and sleeping accommodations fit your description. Next week it will get down to about the middle and low 40s which is cold for us!! Haha, But thank you very much!

7. sydneygirl89

May 12, 2014
    Vacaville, California
    @boersmamrs Ok thank you!

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They want something wider so they can flatten their feet and settle their feathers over their feet....
    ......why I suggested a wider roost, but then I don't like poop on my eggs and neither do my customers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by