Wintering Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jacob Duckman, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Jacob Duckman

Jacob Duckman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2016
    Lehigh Valley
    This will be my Ducks' first winter spent outdoors. I live in eastern PA area with lows that can sometimes reach down to the teens and single digits in the winter.

They have a 6x10ft wire run connected to a 2x4ft doghouse I converted into a duck-coop with straw and a "small critter" heating pad that heats up to 100F max (and probably a lot lower in freezing weather) connected to a 35F thermostat. It also has a small (not super bright) solar LED light in the ceiling. The coop is sitting about 5" off the ground with a solid wide ramp leading to the door.

It has dipped into the 20's and so far the ducks have not used the coop at all that I can tell.

Will they make it through the winter okay? Is there a reason they won't use it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*Edit the heating pad is actually 25 watts

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Deleted by accident
    Dumb kindle said I double posted so I edited one out...turns out there was only one. I can't remember what I said. Stupid thing
    Sorry

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  3. Jacob Duckman

Jul 4, 2016
    Lehigh Valley
    They usually sit on the opposite end of the run that I lock up at night. the coop is connected to it.

I'll try some food. I wonder if I should remove that windbreak plywood piece in there? maybe they need more room?

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

How many Ducks? Mine also live in an extra large dog house....I do not provide heat....Just pine shavings in the dog house and straw down in a corner of the run.....I herd mine into the Dog house at night by saying bedtime....They all wattle in.....I lock them in at night.....I put plastic on the run to provide a wind block.....Ducks do well in cold temps...

Cheers!

5. Jacob Duckman

Jul 4, 2016
    Lehigh Valley
    two ducks. A larger Rouen and a Crested. How cold does it get by you? The more I read the more it seems I'm overdoing it with the heat... and at 25 continuous watts, it does add up

6. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Yeah maybe its too hot in there. Remember that ducks have the original down coat[​IMG]

7. chickens really

In Central Alberta it gets Cold....we can get down to -28 Celsius with a windchill of -35 or more....I have construction grade, clear plastic round my Run and straw bales piled around the Dog house for added insulation.
    I have 5 ducks, three standard sized and two Call ducks...as long as they can get out of wind and wetness, plus keep their feet warm they do fine.....we have a bit of snow here again and they love the snow.....Just a tip, Ducks do better with steps than they do with ramps....I built mine out of paving stones....Not sure how yours do with the ramp?

Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  8. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Ya think? Mine do good with a ramp, I never tried stairs. To much of a bother with my set up.

9. chickens really

Thats good.....My Ducks would walk halfway up and fall off the ramp....lol......Mine look so cute hoping up steps...I have a small step into the Dog house and one for the pool....Silly Ducks!!!

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  10. RookieFlock

RookieFlock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2016
    Michigan
    Just saw this thread, and I'm in a similar situation. Two ducks, pekins, and it's their first winter.I'm not so much worried about the cold for them. We have an elevated chicken coop and they go up there on their own every night and sleep, so I think they have adequate protection from the wind and cold. What I'm concerned about is water. We've been just filling a daily kiddie pool for them. I don't mind hauling water from the house since the hose will freeze up...however, how do you keep it from icing over efficiently? I do have a power source, so I'm thinking maybe a bird bath heater? How much water do they need to be able to keep themselves clean?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by