wintering ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by superchemicalgirl, Oct 24, 2011.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    If you had to pick one or two things that work great for you keeping ducks in the winter (and by winter I mean frequent large snowfalls and sub-zero temperature for weeks on end), please share! I don't (and won't) have a pond for them.

I'm thinking about getting one of these: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1277 *the bowl*

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    How many ducks do you have?
    I am in southern Maine, and for my smaller breeding pens (3-4 ducks) I use the rubber feed tubs. That way when it freezes, it doesn't crack and break. Plus it's really easy to get the ice out of them, but you have to fill them 1-2 times a day.

For my larger, free-ranging ducks, I use a short livestock watering tub with a heater in it. I use hot water to clean it out once every week or so, other than that I just fill it as needed. The heater leaves enough space in the ice for them to splash around as they want and get water to drink.

3. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Just two ducks. I have a black rubber bowl, too but it seems pretty deep and not that wide. I had originally got it for 3 geese. Plus I'm away about 10 hours a day thanks to work and commuting to work so it'll be dark when I leave and when I come home... not good for getting them fresh water.

4. Azd1292

Azd1292 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    I would really like to have one of those buckets! Right now my ducks have a bucket and kiddie pool In their night pen but with winter coming the water situation is going to need tweaked . It would be nice to know they had water to drink all night. I'm sold! P.s.I found a couple a few dollars cheaper on eBay just check the sizes because some are in quarts some in gallons!

5. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Did you find a gallon bowl? I'm concerned about a bucket being not wide enough and too deep. I've read that they can get stuck in that type and drown.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I have the 5 gallon heated flat back bucket for my muscovies and goose. my dh made a cover that goes over part of it so they can't climb into it and bathe. and I also have the heated dog bowl I use it in the chicken coop. really like them both.

7. kurtjackieprovost

kurtjackieprovost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Hi, [​IMG] I'm in Northern Vermont and expect lots of snow and sub zero temps. Brrrr. Just thinking about it gives me the chills. I have 6 ducks. I bought a plug in dish from Amazon.Com. I think I got a good deal. [​IMG] For a two gallon bucket, I paid $37.00 Shipped. That plus the use of the rubber dishes that I fill in the a.m. They will just have to go without a pool until the weather warms in the spring as I will likely have a frozen hose most days. [​IMG] This is my first winter with them and worry that they will get cold here too. I'm having a hard time locating straw. I guess it just isn't used much up here. Good luck with yours.[​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I'm sorry to but in but pine shavings works so much better than straw, and don't forget ducks wear their own down jacket. They can take the cold alot better than we think. SCG if you have something like Tractor supply up there you might be able to find the heated buckets and waterers.

9. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    After last winter with my chickens I'm not going to worry about the ducks and the cold. At negative 15 the chickens were running to get out of the coop and onto the (frozen solid) ground. I couldn't believe it. All I wanted to do was set myself on fire and/or crawl back into bed.

I'm mainly worried about water for the ducks. It freezes fast here.

Can I get a picture of that cover Lydia?

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:We haven't got it set up yet, but i can tell you all it was was a scrap piece of wood and 2 screws, he placed the wood over the top and screw it down to the lip of the bucket. They are wonderful. I use to have to go out 4 or 5 times a day and break up the ice in their waterers and It is so nice now to just have these heated things plugged in and not have to worry about it. And they work on a thermostat so they aren't running except when needed. I know my chickens amazed me how they came out when it was frigid and didn't seem to upset by it. since you only have 2 ducks and no goose, you wouldn't need a 5 gallon bucket. Are your ducks mallard? I also have a 2 gallon heated bucket that I ordered from Lemans[ the catalog ] it was 20.00

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by