Wintering Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Kullas, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    On another topic there was the question ask. How do you keep your quail during the winter?
    I thought this was a good question becouse i will be wintering quail for the first time this year. whats some of the ways to keep them during the winter?

2. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    I cover the cages in tarp and if its nice outside I'll take the tarp off a bit, but I'm thinking about adding a light as heating sources for them.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I have mine in larger cages inside the coop. I figure they are protected like the chickens are, and ought to survive alright.

4. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    I turn up the temperature on the air conditioning a little. But then I live in south Florida! [​IMG] Well I'm going outside to build more quail cages and take a sauna at the same time...

Swamp

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine are inside the barn, and that's about it. No special treatment.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Stop Serving Them Ice In Their Afternoon Cocktail As It Wont Be So Hot During The Winter....
    See Me, Swamp Roo And A Few Others Down Here Dont Have To Worry So Much About Them Getting Too Cold During The Winter As We Do About Them Keeling Over From A Heat Stroke During The Summer...

7. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    Here in N.Ga we get a little cold i was planning on putting sides on the wire pens and putting a board about a foot across on the bottom so they would have something to set on
    can i house the buttons the same as the coturnex?

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Buttons can't be on wire, and should probably be kept inside. I lived in FL for a while, and there were times it would get cold there in the winter. It would have been too cold for buttons to be outside, so I imagine it would be for them where you are as well.

9. CountryPantry

CountryPantry Fat Matt's Poultry Farm

Feb 23, 2009
    Hayesville, NC
    I live in NC at the GA line and we cover the cages that out in the Chicken Yard and put a light underneath when it freezes out. The ones in the Coop are heated by a light bulb, the rabbits don''t like it much but the quail are happy that way. I have problems with the water, I can't use the outside faucet when it freezes so have to fill buckets in the house out of the bathtub and carry them outside. Buckets of water are...HEAVY!!! and I water 9 quail cages, 3 rabbit cages and put water in 4 chicken runs. I hope winter waits a little while this year.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Hmm...what if it gets in the teens and negatives where you're at? Would the tarp situation still be good? There's no possibility of moving them and they are up in the air.

Would adding a heat lamp help offset the lovely weather in the winter?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by