Wintering young chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ajlynco, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    Here's my situation; I have 6 RIR's & 6 BR's(day olds) arriving on the 14th. My plan is to raise them in a brooder I have ready for them for a week or two, then move them to a basement coop. In my basement I have a room that's 6 1/2'X11' with a 3"X12" vent to the outside and a 1'X2' window also leading to the outside for light. I'm going to build a makeshift coop and run out of this room to let them 'feather out'. I have electricity in the room. Now for a coupla questions. Should I just leave them in the basment coop until spring and warmer weather comes? If not, how long in the basement coop? Also should I set up a light on a timer so they'll get used to the light cycle ( I'm raising them for laying)? The basement coop has a door so any smell won't permiate the rest of the basement. All suggestions accepted and appreciated. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Somewhere I read that broilers can go outside in as little as 3 weeks. Since I have eggs due to hatch when my chicks are 3 weeks old, we are going to test that theory. We all seem to forget that chickens are quite hardy.

3. Momma on a Mission

Momma on a Mission Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Seymour, IN
    I have put my 3 weekers out in there new hen house 2 nights ago. With the heating lamp turned on and it got to 30 degrees. They all did well and are enjoying there new home.

4. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    well I'm not sure about where you'll be moving them to and how your weather is. If you can provide a draftfree outdoor coop with a heat lamp they can get to, I'd skip the basement. That said, I'd move em out when I got tired of cleaning up after them...if its damp in the basement, and smells, its not good for the chickens...are you going to put down straw or what?

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Broilers are not the same at all. I have FR, which are slow growing broilers, which have been out side since their second week. I also have Marans and RIR chicks the same age that I still have in our heated attached garage they are actually going out to the big coop today with a heat lamp. Our weather has been horrible (on vacation all week in order to winterize my coops and it has been cold and rainy) The difference is night and day, I will try to get you a pic, as soon as the torrential rain stops. I think you can but them in a coop with a light on them and they will be fine.
    Michele

6. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    I live in Reno, Nv. and the winters seldom get lower than 20 degrees, and we have dry (high desert)weather. The basement stays around 62-68 degrees. It has a concrete floor which I'm going to be putting pine shavings down on. I'll be raising 6 RIR's and 6 BR's. I haven't had time to build the coop yet but will in the next few weeks.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You should have no problem in the winter. You won't like them in your basement, though, the dust will be out of control and will get into your duct system.

8. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    You can move them outside whenever you get your coop done...chickens do well in cold, dry, and once they have their feathers, I mean, their down jackets they will do ok...just watch em if its cold. If they aren't standing around huddled up and puffed out they are warm enough.

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Broilers are not the same at all. I have FR, which are slow growing broilers, which have been out side since their second week. I also have Marans and RIR chicks the same age that I still have in our heated attached garage they are actually going out to the big coop today with a heat lamp. Our weather has been horrible (on vacation all week in order to winterize my coops and it has been cold and rainy) The difference is night and day, I will try to get you a pic, as soon as the torrential rain stops. I think you can but them in a coop with a light on them and they will be fine.
    Michele

Thanks Michele. I don't want to kill them, was just thinking as long as they have their feathers they should be ok. I will keep a close eye on them and have no problem putting a light on them. I have a 500w worklight that throws a lot of heat.

How do you like your Freedom Rangers compared to Cornish Crosses, and what part of Ohio are you in?

Thanks,
    Shawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by