Winterized coop for cold climate - Video Tour

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by edibleacres, Dec 27, 2016.

1. edibleacres

edibleacres New Egg

Dec 24, 2016
    Hey folks! Thought I'd share here a video tour of our coop set up for the sometimes harsh NY state winters we experience. This is the 2nd winter with the coop and it seems to serve our friends pretty well. The focus is on simple and low cost solutions and also automating certain things like the door and water access so we can step away or not pay huge attention every single day. Its working so far!
    I'd appreciate any and all feedback people have for the setup... What can I improve?

[​IMG]

2. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    I don't know much about NY winters. But I know you'd have frozen birds here in ND.

First thing I would do is pick up outside. Just a big pet peeve of mine is when the chickens area is dirty with feed bags etc
    Second thing I would do is in the walls get rid of all of those gaps/cracks between the siding.
    Third is I would install small 4 inch by 4 inch holes that can have a sliding panel that you can move back and forth to help with airflow. And then add hardware cloth on the inside of the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by