Winterized our coop, Vents big enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by turbokev, Nov 9, 2010.

1. turbokev

turbokev Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    NH
    I found a couple large sheets of plexi up in our garage the previous owners left behind, so I cut it up to make some window coverings for the coop.
    I used rubbery peel and stick gaskets around the perimeter of each one on the coop itself to prevent drafts.
    I covered all the external windows on the coop, as well as the first panel of the covered run, and the little windows under the coop.
    I used the same stuff around the clean out door and the roof to the egg box.
    I'm hoping this will provide a nice wind break to the coop itself and under the coop.
    On the inside of the run, I have an 8 foot wide by 1 foot high 'window' that is now covered with 6 feet of plexi leaving a 2 foot by 1 foot open area on the end opposite the roost inside.
    The coop itself is 2x4 construction that is fiberglass insulated on all walls, but not the floor.. thats just wood with a 6 inch layer of pine shavings.

Do you think the coop is ventilated well enough with just the 2x1 area?
    The chickens come and go as they please out of the coop in to the run, and I let them free range all day outside..
    They put themselves to bed at dusk and I close up the run for the night, so they are not 'cooped up' other than to sleep..even the pop door stays open 24/7

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's a picture of all 8 girls we got as chicks on May 14th.

[​IMG]

Thanks for any comments~

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice job preparing for winter. Since vents should be well above roost level, it looks like you will be okay, Plexiglass is so expensive, this was a nice find! I'm just wondering if the eaves are open or if I'm missing a look at the vents. That said, with so few birds I think you have lots of moving air. I know you get heavy winds and snow, like us. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  3. turbokev

Jun 7, 2010
    NH
    The actual coop is roofed within the covered run and the eaves are 'sealed' from cats getting in or chickens getting out, but they are not sealed tight..just blocked.

The coops ventilation is the long window area that faces in to the covered run.. and its that window that I've covered 6 feet of with plexi so its left with a
    2 foot by 1 foot opening on the end above the pop door..

The roost is about 5 feet long and is under that window, but on the right hand side. Its about 12 inches lower than the bottom of the window area.
    When the chickens are on the roost and standing up tall, they can see out that window easily, but when they are settled down sleeping, they are lower
    than the window.. I'll add a couple interior pictures~

Thanks,

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Your system of venting into a very wind-sheltered but not excessively plastic-wrapped run is an excellent one.

Whether 1x2' of ventilation will be enough for 8 chickens.... I don't think I'm going to place a bet, as it depends so much on your personal style of coop management (especially on how damp it is in there and whether you use a wide droppings-board and clean it every morning). It would be easy for 1x2' to NOT be enough (especially since, depending on your site, you may find you have to block up some of the upwind eaves holes so's not to have too much crossbreeze)... but OTOH it will be very very easy for you to open up more ventilation if you have to (just remove the 6x1 plexi piece and cut some off it and reinstall) so I am not going to get all lecturey this time about building *ample* ventilation [​IMG]

So in my opinion, for whatever that's worth, you look like you are in good shape to go into winter, just keep an eye on things for any signs that a humidity problem is developing, and adapt accordingly, which should be easy for you [​IMG]

BTW I love the egg-carton storage [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. turbokev

Jun 7, 2010
    NH
    Here's some interior pictures...

I do have a wide droppings board, and I'm faithful about cleaning it off every morning.
    I also pick up any obvious poop on the shavings and then give them a stir.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Food is built in to the cleanout door, but water stays out in the run..
    (still need to buy the heated version..but nothing frozen yet)

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Lucky hens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by