Winterizing an outdoor rabbit hutch?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 2468Chickensrgr8, Nov 17, 2008.

1. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Any tips for winterising an outdoor rabbit hutch...what do you do for the water bottle?....The rabbit has a two room hutch with a run added on....I've put straw on one side ....

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I had my rabbits in a chain link dog kennel. I put boards all around the kennel so they were protected from the wind. Lots of straw in their dog house and a heated water bowl. One winter storm I had to go out and dig them out. The snow had blown in and even buried the dog house.

3. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    Give him a box/some kind of enclosed thing with tons of hay inside. Fleece blankets are also good to have in his cage so he can snuggle against them

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    they make small heated dog waterbowls, that is what we use. also my DH puts plastic around the bottom by the legs, it is off the ground quite a bit. all that manure that drops makes heat also, they do quite well.

5. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I put layers of newspaper on top of the wire, then in the covered back space 6" of shavings. In the front space, I put layers of newspapers, then soft sweet smelling hay, very thick. I use stall dry when needed. We also cut plywood to cover the two sides and top of the front part. The very front door area is wire covered and open. I use a bottle waterer hanging on the front wire. They are only in there at night. They love their rabbit hutch.
    [​IMG]

6. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Hey thanks for the great ideas guys !....Would you place the heated water bowl in the run or inside the hutch were its" bed " is not....When we first got this bunny it would flip the water bowl over ..even the one attached to the side and so we went to using the plastic water bottle with the spout and it works...all these are inside the hutch on the side were theres no bedding...What do you think of straw for a bedding? ....thanks again....I have to go do my chores now...ahhhh!! its cold......

7. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    block any drafts, make sure their sleeping area is always dry. Give them extra bedding to snuggle up in. Make sure their fur is very matted, as matted fur doesn't keep them as warm.

8. herbandteas

herbandteas Chillin' With My Peeps

I have taken a wool tube sock to put over the hanging water bottles. It really cut down on the ice build up. The thicker the sock the better it is.

9. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I prefer straw bedding. It stays dry a lot longer.
    Keeping the rabbit dry and out of the wind is important for winter.

10. joshplus10

joshplus10 Out Of The Brooder

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by