Winterizing Coop suggestions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KenLamWV, Sep 12, 2010.

1. KenLamWV

KenLamWV Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Bridgeport, WV
    This is my first year at raising chickens and I think I built a pretty strong and secure coop/run. My SuperRun is still under construction. I plan to put two more sections of welded wire fencing on roof and then the last 6-9 feet by coop, I plan to put some type of metal or corrugated roofing overhead. Instead of posting pics on this thread, check out the photos on my BYC page, link on the left. I have two pages (one I initially made after building coop and first run, then the second page of SuperRun with current interior pics of coop. My floor is 2x6's with 3/4 inch plywood with vinyl flooring on top. Should I put rigid insulation underneath with wire mesh to keep out rodents? Insulation in walls or ceiling? What materials suggested? I do have power run to the coop so any electrical suggestions? I have two windows on two sides, the openings for the runs, and I have a roof vent in the ceiling. I live in Zone 6 (West Virginia). In the winter, do I open the run doors for the girls? I am just dumbfounded with what to do and in the end, I just want the girls to keep producing eggs and survive the winter. I know production will diminish and also the girls molting so this is not an issue. Could you please give me some insight on what to do next so I can have a good balance of things? lots of questions but I know others will benefit from this post too. Thanks to all who respond- Ken

2. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    I would suggest using some insulaton of some type on the interior walls then particle board over that to a. hold it in place and b. stop the chickens from trying to eat it. Do you have power availale to your coop?

3. KenLamWV

KenLamWV Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Bridgeport, WV
    Yes I have power in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by