Winterizing Duck Pool

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lindsey-, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Lindsey-

Lindsey- Hatching

Nov 15, 2019
    I have three Khaki Campbell ducks that have a 350 Gallon Stock Tank that they swim in. With the winter approaching how would I make sure the water doesn't freeze other than a de-icer? Is it even safe to put a de-icer in where the ducks are swimming?

quackiemama likes this.
  2. Ratchnick

Ratchnick Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Anchorage Alaska
    How often do you change the water? That is a huge body of water to keep warm, and it will make a big sheet of ice when you charge it. I would get something much smaller that you can carry out to let them bathe.

quackiemama likes this.
  3. quackiemama

quackiemama Free Ranging

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    I use a de-icer in my stock tank pool for them. I plug into a thermal outlet so it only comes on when it reaches a certain temperature preventing the water from freezing. Mine is not 350 gallon though. I have a hose attached so I can drain when I need to change out the water. The hose drains into my garden to fertilize my soil.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Lindsey-

Lindsey- Hatching

Nov 15, 2019
    I change the water about once a week. I had something smaller before but they all like to swim together and didn’t have enough room.

Miss Lydia and BullChick like this.
  5. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    They don’t “need” to swim. As long as they can dunk their heads (coffee can), they are okay.
    That being said, there are several stock tank heaters, as well as koi pond heaters available.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I’m sorry, yes. It’s okay to have the de-icer. Livestock and koi are safe, so ducks will be too.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  7. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    Is de-I cEr the same as heat tape? We have a 300 gal tank in barn that were pumping pond water into to supply their drnking water...is that the same kind of tank you mean to swim in? Anyways..if de- iced is same as heat tape it should be safe...my ducks dunk heads in their heated water tubs just fine. It is true they don’t need to swim..but it’s a nice bonus if you can do it...part of our pond isn’t frozen since we are pumping from it and the ducks are having a blast! So if you can do it..go for it..nothing better than a happy duck!

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: