Winterizing for GG

Discussion in 'Quail' started by huntinwidow, Dec 2, 2010.

1. huntinwidow

huntinwidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Warrior Alabama
    My Coop
    I know this topic must have been covered and recovered but I have been unable to find an answer by searching.
    So please my BYC quail friends. I have 10 Adult GG quail in a wire rabbit hutch aprox. 3'X9' wire on all sides and floor, tin on roof.
    Temps here in central Alabama have begun to drop below freezing @ night.
    What if anything should I do? Do they need a heat lamp or tarp ?
    What do you do? [​IMG]

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Most Bob Strains Are Exceptionally Cold Hardy And Weather Tolerant... Kind Of A Natural Thing With Them. If You Are Concerned I Would Make Provisions So That They Had A Shelter From Wind, Other Than That They Should Not Have Any Problems. If Your Pen Has A Nest Box Or Anything Like That You Could Stuff Straw Or Hay In There And They Would Have A Place To Snuggle Down In And Get Away From The Cold If They Chose To Do So. You Can Also Make A Brush Pile In The Corner Of Your Pen With Bundles Of Evergreen Limbs--- This Would Get The Most Use From Bobs As Its Closest To The Natural Environment

3. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Agree
    My bobs are outside when it is -10!!

4. huntinwidow

huntinwidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Warrior Alabama
    My Coop
    Ok. Thanks guys. JMR I appreciate the idea about evergreens I will try that. [​IMG]

5. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:CHRISTMAS TIME IS A BOB'S FAVORITE TIME OF YEAR [​IMG]

ASK AROUND SOME OF YOUR BIG HOME IMPROVEMENT STORES, WALMARTS, XMAS TREE SALES LOTS--- ALL THE LIMBS YOU CAN HAUL ARE USUALLY FREE AND YOURS FOR THE ASKING. ONCE XMAS IS OVER IF YOU HAVE A LIVE TREE TAKE OUT AND STUFF IT IN THE CORNER OF YOUR PEN... ITS LIKE BOB WHITE DISNEY LAND!

6. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    HaHa!!!

7. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Echoing some of what's been said above, as long as you keep the cold wind off of them, they'll be Ok on wire flooring as long as they're out of the rain. Last year, I went so far as putting hay in my pens "just because", but it becomes a poo-poo mat quickly when you've got a bunch of birds in a pen. It's been down in the mid/upper 20's a few nights so far here in the past couple of weeks, and they're fine with a wire bottom.......but have a north / northwest wall to block the wind.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    WET POO SOAKED HAY... NOW THERE'S A PRETTY MENTAL PICTURE [​IMG]

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Made the mistake of putting hay in an open sided chicken pen many years ago. NEVER AGAIN. That was horrifying to clean out. I shudder at the memory...

I do put a small handful of hay in my INSIDE pens in one corner. It can't get wet, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by