winterizing metal shed?

halfpintlc

Songster
5 Years
Aug 29, 2017
Brockville, ON
We have a re-purposed metal garden shed, turned coop, that is 10x9. We will soon be moving our 6 chicks (red sexlink) out there and I want to make sure to insulate, if necessary, before they go out. Our temps do drop to -25-30C in winter, and I know this question gets asked constantly, but most people have plywood, which holds heat differently. Just looking for opinions, though I'm sure they will be fine.

look into burlap over insulation or even newspaper another layer of whatever so they do not peck at it even the waterproof shower liner type board sorry dented old brain here

I also repurposed metal buildings.

My insulation friend had a lot to say about the do's/don't's of insulating a metal building. I don't remember it all, but I do remember the biggest concern was mold and ventilation because animals were going to be in the building.

My concern with the plywood is that you have created a space for rodents to nest and reproduce. (This happened with the previous owners & the barn. I haven't insulated the metal barn yet because of the in's/out's of it and the concerns.)

** I know someone who plans to use plywood to insulate. The person isn't concerned about rodents and feels the animals will take care of the problem. Here, the animals did NOT take of the problem.

Someone else may come along with more information on how to properly insulate a metal building. Having animals in the building makes the insulation project different than if you were just insulating a work space or a storage space.

Please share with us what you learn about insulating the space!

I think a metal building getting condensation on the roof would be concern number one after good ventilation of course.

My big coop has a metal roof that is exposed inside. It gets condensation in there. I think insulating it will help.

The walls of a metal coop are a bit different. Condensation will still happen there too but rodents are a bigger issue.

I really don't know about insulating the walls AND keeping rodents out....

I think a metal building getting condensation on the roof would be concern number one after good ventilation of course.
My big coop has a metal roof that is exposed inside. It gets condensation in there. I think insulating it will help.

The walls of a metal coop are a bit different. Condensation will still happen there too but rodents are a bigger issue.
I really don't know about insulating the walls AND keeping rodents out....

I agree that condensation on metal roofing would be a concern. I also have a metal roof - so I used foam board insulation to provide a vapor barrier (leftover from another project - my ceiling is pink:)). Works well - just make sure your roosting is not too high - chickens absolutely LOVE that insulation - if mine could get to it they would eat the whole thing. (note, the insulation on the metal roofing is not to keep heat in - it's to prevent condensation on bare metal and helps heat from radiating downward in summer)

OP will have to watch to see if the walls become a problem - if so, then adding some type of vapor barrier may be in order on those as well.
They also mention holding in heat - that would be tricky unless you are actually heating a coop. The coop should be free of drafts, as dry as you can get it and still have plenty of ventilation (most important). Chickens do fine in cold temps as long as they are out of harsh winds.

I use metal sheds and don't bother with insulation. If it gets into the single digits I'll put up a heat lamp to help them through the night(s). No worries because there's nothing to catch fire in a metal shed.

Half Pint:

I wrote a response in a similar thread. It can be seen at post #4 in this thread....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...is-it-worht-the-money-to-insulate-it.1204122/

The way I would go about insulating a shed like yours is to use something like any of the rigid foam boards......about 3/4" or so. Place it inside the coop on the support structure, leaving a gap between it and the siding. Then you will need to cover it to keep your birds from pecking it and eating it. That covering can be something cheap and durable like 1/2" osb. Paint that white if you want a white and bright interior (you do).

If the roof is not insulated, the best option is to take it off, then place the foam sheathing below it before putting it back on the same way it was before. For that use, the foil faced foam board works best.

FWIW, the place I live now has a metal clad horse barn out back. Folks who built it did not insulate the sides or roof. With horses inside, barn is nearly unable, as it literally rains inside the building when they are present. Hay, feed and anything else in there that is not covered gets wet from the dripping condensation. Given the right conditions, it also does it even when horse are not present. My daughter has the exact same time of barn, and hers never has drips from condensation. Only difference is the insulation under the metal roof.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I should get the roof insulated, at least. There should be enough ventilation, as there are 2 24"x18" windows, as well as 2 other 8"x12" (roughly) vents. The building is only 6' tall, so hopefully that will be enough, though we can add more if necessary. I will try to put up some pictures as I get things figured out.

Back
Top Bottom