Winterizing questions...

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Mikanik, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Mikanik

Mikanik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Well, we're dipping into the mid-teens at night and sometimes near freezing during the day. Which means that soon we'll be freezing even during the day! I've done so much searching, but can't make up my mind. I thought I'd come here and ask you all what heated waterer you'd suggest for my little "flock" of 2 ducks and 1 Embden. I have been just filling and re-filling and re-filling and re-filling a large dog bowl of water every day and it's become the inconvenience. Not that I mind doing it for our feather-babies, but I'd like to find something a little more useful. Please help! [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I went to TSC and bought the 9qt. heated buckets, sure beats carrying water out 4to 5 times a day. I have 10 ducks and an emden goose and I use 2 buckets for them. worth their weight in gold. [​IMG]

3. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I always toss a small stock tank de-icer in a kiddie pool, or the bottom of a child's sand box. The quackers love it. [​IMG]

4. Mikanik

Mikanik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Thank you! I may go purchase one of those buckets AND the de-icer. I have a little turtle kiddie sand box that's been converted into their "tiny" bathing pool. Does that keep the water from freezing fairly good? I was hoping I wouldn't have to deny them a little pond during the winter. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by