1. hippiechickadee

hippiechickadee Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I have enclosed the run with thick plastic and I am going to the tarp up later over the roof:

[​IMG]

None of it is "airtight" and it's not meant to keep out the cold, just the "wet".

My concern is my roosters sanity. He is rather upset that he can't see outside anymore. Will he get over it? or did I do something wrong?

2. smcgill

smcgill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2014
    Easton, Massachussetts
    Yours looks great!
    I just did half of the run.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Half of the roof is covered.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He still doesn't trust me!
    I think he likes it though .
    Sean

PS. Air flow!!! I hope you leave to end open.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  3. hippiechickadee

May 22, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Yours looks really great! And your rooster is funny! So handsome :) I know what you mean about them not trusting, I can tell they don't me right now.

I did not leave an end open, but none of it is really sealed tight either. The tarp for example has plenty of space between each nail holding it down so air can get in.

If you think this isn't good enough, I can open up a side. I'm a newbie and always looking for advice :D

4. Fancypants1

Fancypants1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    Started winterizing my run this weekend too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. hippiechickadee

May 22, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Looks great! I have opened up one of my sides again. I hope it was a good choice on sides, lol. My luck is it will be the windiest. They are happier being able to see out again.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've already asked smcgill and fancypants on their own threads where they posted their tarping...

....now I'll ask you hippchickadee....How do you plan on keeping the snowload off that tarp?

I ask because I learned the hard way with a collapse and near collapse....figure it out now instead of after the fact.

7. hippiechickadee

May 22, 2014
    Upstate NY
    That is a great question. I had planned on sweeping it off onto the right side (the left will be shoveled, thats where we walk) we get a lot of snow up here too... I was planning on clearing it in intervals kind of like I do the cars.

Maybe I should stick a 2X2 in the middle for an added support bar?

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

9. Fancypants1

Fancypants1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    I plan to be out sweeping off the tarp as much as possible. The other thing I plan on doing (first winter with chickens) is just using and dowel and going into the run and poking the dowel threw the chicken wire to push off any stuck on snow and ice.

10. Eagleeyeice

Eagleeyeice Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not posting this to burst anyone's bubble, but for us who live in the great snow belt, which is a big chunk of the USA, snow is not created equal.
    Remember that heavy wet snow, you know, the kind that breaks branches off of trees, sticks to your shovel, and clogs snow blowers?
    Well, that snow will take down any tarp covered run, and it will probably happen at night when you are asleep.
    I plan on being vigilant keeping the snow off of my steel roof covered run, and it's 7' wide, and supported by lumber.
    I wish that I had suggestions for you, but do not. [​IMG]

I do wish you the best though.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by