Winterizing - Sand or Straw in the Run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sciencediva, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Sciencediva

Sciencediva Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2013
    Maryland
    I have sand in the run and deep wood shavings in the coop - love both!

Reading up on preparing for winter I noticed that many of you are using deep straw during winter and am wondering if I want to keep the sand in the run or switch it to straw. I am also planning on adding clear plastic halfway up the run to keep the wind and rain out (and substrate dry).

Sand? Straw? Any thoughts? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    There's no need to change anything you're doing

3. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    -sounds like you are set to me. -agree that there is no need to change anything. (We have sand and dirt in the run and love it. When it gets cold and rainy, I do throw down some coastal hay in the run to minimize mud and pooling water where they've dug out dusting places. -rake it out when it dries up, and return to just sand/dirt. This is purely preferential and not absolutely necessary.)

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Sorry, I'm laughing here in Michigan. You really don't have winter! I use shavings, because straw is heavier at cleanout time. Never tried sand, so can't comment on that. Mary

5. TXchickmum

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    [​IMG] The OP is in Maryland which pobably gets a bit of a winter. In Texas we just get "less hot" or "more cool" - no winter at all. -definitely think that the winterizing threads are pertinent for those folks up North that really experience cold temps, snow, etc.

6. Sciencediva

Sciencediva Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2013
    Maryland
    Our winters in Maryland are hit and miss. We can go with almost no snow to 3 feet from one winter/storm to another - though I keep thinking we are due for some serious weather [​IMG]

While I know the birds are most likely going to be just fine, I DO want to make things as easy as possible for me and avoid huge icy puddles and mud holes that are a mess to clean up. Thanks for the input. I guess I can always have some straw or hay ready in the shed and see how things go.

7. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Our runs are sand year round. I tried adding straw last year and it was a smelly mess. We're back to just the sand.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Exactly!!
    Take straw, add water, and a nasty smelly mess it what you end up with every time

9. TXchickmum

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I agree 100%!! This is the reason that I do like to keep the hay around. If there is a rain, sleet, or snow melt situation, sand/dirt can puddle and get nasty if the birds like to dig holes such as for dustbathing. Throwing the hay down in the run really alleviates the mess, and allows me access to the run without stomping through mud. As stated prior, I do recommend raking it out after a few days to allow everything underneath to dry. -agree, too, with the above poster that hay/straw left for a good while will become "fragrant".

10. Whovian

Whovian Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    Connecticut
    We live in CT where this winter has been brutal. We have just sand in the run and shavings in the coop. Despite my constant worry, the chickens have been fine in the -10 degree weather. I imagine straw would be a hassle to clean. I like the sand because we can just rake it clean every week (when the ground isn't frozen solid).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by