Winterizing the barn and run

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JillZaHulk, Nov 11, 2019.

1. JillZaHulk

JillZaHulk Chirping

Oct 4, 2019
    Western Washington State
    So I’m curious what you all do to make your barns or coops warmer for your birds and your runs a little less frosty?!? Last week we had a heat lamp bulb burst and it’s got us on a hunt for the safest lamps to use around ducks/water. There’s gotta be one out there where the bulb won’t burst if it gets splashed. Our ducks have a stall in our barn as their coop, cement floor, lots of straw, I put cardboard under the nesting areas for warmth and egg padding. They currently share the barn with our 4 goats.

just curious if anyone has a similar set up.. what do you all do?

penny1960 likes this.
  2. JillZaHulk

JillZaHulk Chirping

Oct 4, 2019
    Western Washington State
    Also what do you do to encourage egg production throughout winter? Do you restrict their time in the snow/below freezing weather?

penny1960 likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Definitely not have heat bulbs in a close proximity to water for splashing to burst bulbs. No goats in with birds either. Definitely a different set up is needed.

4. I agree with removing heat bulbs/electric heating sources from wet areas. With one already bursting, I don’t see it ending well if you attempt to replace it.
    Ample protection from wind and drafts, plenty of bedding to nestle into (since ducks don’t roost), plenty of draft-free areas protected by walls, plastic sheeting, tarp and the like. In Montana we have been having 70 degree (Fahrenheit) temperature swings within 24 hours, so my chickens are definitely not happy about that. They seem to be doing OK, but I know there is always room for improvement.

As for keeping up egg production, that is out of my realm of knowledge. I give my girls a break by letting nature do its thing. Out of seven layers, I’m getting two to three eggs a day now that it’s dark and cold out. I still have a stockpile of three dozen eggs from last month, so I’m not worried. I do however need to be on top of collecting my eggs because one laid late last night after I closed the coop, and it had burst by the time I found it this morning.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    penny1960, Miss Lydia and DuckyDonna like this.
  5. JillZaHulk

JillZaHulk Chirping

Oct 4, 2019
    Western Washington State
    Birds have their own stall with roof. They’re stall opens facing the door out to their run. And their stall opening is 2’ or less from that door. They do not mingle with the goats and the goats aren’t allowed in their space.

the heat lamp that we had burst was 7-8’ off the ground and opposite the ducks. My only assumption as to how any moisture got to the lamp was either a goat sneezed a very animated wet sneeze OR the wind did something crazy being that the barn door was open at that time. It was a very odd incident that still doesn’t make any sense

6. JillZaHulk

JillZaHulk Chirping

Oct 4, 2019
    Western Washington State
    What would make an egg burst overnight? Getting stepped on?

yes our nights have been getting into the mid-low 20s and days in the upper 50s-mid 60s.

our lamp was not where any water or moisture should have been able to get to. The outlet, cords and lamps are all high up. Something would’ve had to throw water at a crazy angle to manage what has happened. And the ducks only have water in the coop that is deep enough for their beaks. Between the stall sides and the roof on their stall there’s no way they could’ve gotten water over to where that lamp was.

penny1960 likes this.
  7. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I think if the egg froze it could have burst.

8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Egg damage has nothing to do with the heat source Your providing...:frow

9. Somehow I have chicken poop on my ceilings and splashed on the walls... birds are strange and can do even stranger things.

Last night the temps dropped well below freezing (32F) and hit 4F. But two days before the temps were 65F.

10. JillZaHulk

JillZaHulk Chirping

Oct 4, 2019
    Western Washington State
    She had said something in an earlier response about one of her eggs bursting because it was laid late and she didn’t get to it till morning and by then it had burst. I asked, just out of curiosity, what could make an egg burst over night. That question and her response were not related to the lamp bulb bursting. Tho two different things bursting I can understand the mix up lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: