1. farmgirl1995

farmgirl1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Georgia:)
    I live in the mountains in Georgia and it gets pretty cold here. I have around 45 chickens currently and winter is approaching. Two of my coops will be warm enough but the last one is pretty open....how should I keep my babies warm?

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Um, can you post some pictures of that one you need advise on? It would help us to give you some direction. [​IMG]

3. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    What are the temps in the winter? I can imagine It getting real cold there in the south, but from what i've read Ventilation is best, especially with 45 cluckers!

4. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    @Schultz Yes I'll try:) @DutchieWannabe It gets pretty cold. Below freezing sometimes but not for long periods of time. Hehe, well I'm afraid of them getting cold:(

5. Marshmallow Man

Marshmallow Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Cover the windows that will cause them to be have drafts on them with a heavy sheet plastic. Just cut some furring strips to go around the edges and screw them to the wood with the sheeting underneath. That way you still get sun through the plastic to help warm the inside. Be sure there is plenty of ventilation up high to suck the moist air out. Yes that's where the warm air is at but it has the most moisture in it. Chickens can handle cold. It's the drafts that get them.

We get lows down below freezing on occasion with an avg day temp in the mid 30's and nights in the mid teens. Coops are all sound with dirt floors and ventilation through open eaves. Never had a problem. Be sure the roost bars are wide enough that the chickens can squat and cover their feet with their feathers. Keep the inside of the coop dry.

6. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    Great idea. Will do. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by