1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wintertime care - light

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SandraMort, Jul 22, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    If the birds are spending most or all of their time in the barn, what kind of lighting do they need?

2. seymojo536

seymojo536 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Just enough to read the paper by.

3. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Some people believe that its best to let the hens have a natural rest, and break from egg-laying, in winter.

We personally supplement so that they receive 12-14 hours of daylight . I think 14 is the number to keep them laying all winter. Mine get to go out in a run in the daytime, so I just add supplemental light on a timer, in the morning (thy need the natural dusk to be able to get up on the roost before the light goes out!)

Make sure it's a warm-spectrum light like an incadescent or warm-spectrum flourescent, not a standard flourescent.

4. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Quote:So they sit in the dark?

We personally supplement so that they receive 12-14 hours of daylight

Supplement what? If they're indoors, they won't get much light through the window.

Mine get to go out in a run in the daytime, so I just add supplemental light on a timer, in the morning (thy need the natural dusk to be able to get up on the roost before the light goes out!)

They go out in the run if it's really freezing cold? I thought they just stayed indoors.​

5. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    That's pretty bright. I need to leave that much light on all day?

Quote:

6. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    We have several windows in our hen house so some light does get in. We also have a light on a timer so when it does start to get dark the light will turn on and then off at a preset time. We also have a heat lamp on a thermostat so that when the temps hit a certain low the heat lamp will click on.

Seachick is right on with her advice! [​IMG]

7. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    There are windows, but I'm not sure how much light will get in. I'm also not sure how much fresh air/ventilation there is, either. But that's a thought for the coop construction board.

SO, if it's not enough light from the windows to see for me, that means I need more lights?

Quote:

8. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Quote:Moron. This IS the coop construction board. If there isn't cross ventilation, won't they get overheated? I imagine it'd be fine in the winter, but I don't know about summer. On the other hand, it's a real honest to goodness barn with horse stalls, so it was BUILT for animals...

9. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    You can simply cut out a couple holes with a saw and cover them with either a real vents or just some hardware cloth and aluminum screen.

I saw some nice solar lighting on here for $39.00.

10. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    You will need ventilation. We have vents at the top of the house and then the hole in the floor that allows the hens enter and exit the house. The summers around here can reach over a 100 and my hen house remains at least 10 degrees cooler. As for the winter my DH will close most of the vents to keep the heat in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by