1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wiper bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer Kitty, May 9, 2008.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm currently waiting for eggs to hatch in the skillet bator. [​IMG] But I also want to start another batch. So in comes the wiper bator. When I made it I only intended to use it with a few eggs. Well, I have 8 in there right now. They will be moved to the skillet bator when it becomes available. Then I still have 4 eggs that I had wanted in this batch. I may put them into the wiper bator when it opens up and see how it does. Here is the setup for the wiper bator.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The temp on here is slowly going up after I had it out for putting in the eggs-no need to worry about the low number.

2. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Is that a baby wipe warmer????

If so that is genius!

You are my new hero!

3. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yes, it's a baby wipe warmer. [​IMG] It didn't work when I got it so I put a small light socket in it and wire to keep the chicks from the light. It is also on a dimmer. The spots in the cartons where I have the water wells are to hot to put eggs in-due to being so close to the bulb. [​IMG]

Does anyone know what temp these things run at when they work?

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  4. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Brilliant!

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    you know that you are reading the humidity outside the bator, do you ? otherwise you are a genius

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Very creative. I don't know what the temp is but I thought they were the ultimate luxury when my DIL got one for the Grand babies. They didn't even have wipes when my youngest was born and the disposable diapers when my oldest was born were not like they are today.

7. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:No room in bator for thermometer/hygrometer at this point! Just worrying about temp for the next few days and that can be done with the lead wire.

I just found out that my SIL and her husband are coming tomorrow to pick up their calf. They buy our bull calves and raise them as steers. She is bringing me 12 green eggs! Now what can I make into a temp bator so they will only be a day after the ones I set today and I can hatch them together! Better go look around! [​IMG]

8. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    how about a real incubator

9. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:What, no sense of advanture? Many here have homemade incubators! This is just a real small version of one.

10. cacooley

cacooley Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    I am joining the 2014 Hatch-along. I am a newbie and I have no incubator. I am using a Prince Lionheart wipes warmer I found in a box of old baby stuff. So far, the temp is 97°F and Humidity is 61%. I am testing tonight to see if I can put the eggs in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by