1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wire apron around coop - danger for dog paws?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Korzak, May 17, 2016.

1. Korzak

Korzak Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2014
    So we are about 75% done with our build, and are getting ready to install 1/2" hardware cloth all around it. We're going to do an apron/skirt of hardware cloth around the outside to keep predators from digging.

My concern with this is that the chickens will be secure, but if the dogs run around past it, they might cut their paws on the sharp edges of the hardware cloth.

Burying the cloth is not an option, because our ground is the rocky New England type, that's mostly fist-sized rocks and not soil.

Any thoughts? Am I worrying over nothing?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Possible it could cut/scrape/scratch them. You could mulch it, or bring in a small load (or a few bags) of topsoil to bury in lieu of digging down...

3. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    We put cement blocks on ours, but if it is not a tractor, some nice stones would be more attractive IMO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by