wire cage question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by joe17, Aug 3, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I can get some wire hanging cages for pretty cheap around here. I was wondering what size holes do I need for week old silkie chicks? Is it good to keep chicks on wire for a month? I then would move them to a grow out pen with shavings. Ohh and is there any way to put something on the bottom of the cage so that it wouldnt be wire? What do you do? I was thinking about putting a piece of wood over the wire and then put shavings on top. Any ideas???

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I brood my chicks on wire. 1/4" hardware cloth. And they do just fine, from day-olds up until I move them to the grow out coop.

3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Okay thanks! Do they dont loose feathers and toe nails like they would do if they were older? I was thinking they were lighter and their feet feathers wouldnt be as full so it couldnt get ripped and pulled off. What age do you consider started? I was thinking a month?? Ohh and what ages would you mix together? Like what ages would you mix in your grow out pen? Maybe 1-6 month olds together? Would they fight?

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:No, no ripped out toe nails or feathers. I also keep birds on wire that I am planning to show to keep them clean, and their feathers do stay in great condition. Started birds I would consider 4-5 weeks and older. I mix the birds together by size. With silkies, I dont have any problems with chicks fighting or picking on eachother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by