Wire floor in chicken movable coop (tractor)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sara9, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Sara9

Sara9 In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    So I have a regular coop for my 11 birds, and a wire light weight coop that is movable by hand for them. We built it with a heavy duty wire floor that they can walk on and peck through to eat bugs and grass but I worry that this isn't good for their feet and foraging. We live in the woods in New England and I worry about fox and raccoon, and even my own dogs. Yet I have not seen signs on anything digging to get under the coop, which is why this wire is along the bottom. I am considering removing the wire...do you think this is a safe move? I wouldn't want to risk loosing all the birds but I haven't had any problems yet.
    Thanks!

2. welasharon

welasharon Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Remove the wire and use it to put an apron of wire facing outward from the bottom of the pen. That will prevent predators from digging under. The wire is rough on their feet.

3. Sara9

Sara9 In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Do you think that that may make moving it harder? It sounds like a much better situation for the birds though :) Thank you!

4. welasharon

welasharon Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    probably would. You could use 2x4 fencing and make drop down flaps that you could bungee up to the sides to move and then let down once you moved it?? maybe....I just would hate to have to walk on wire all the time myself...LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: