wire floored run? is this ok

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WeeNicole, Jul 29, 2014.

1. WeeNicole

WeeNicole Chirping

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Hey. Well I just got a chick coop and run attached problem is the wire on run is also on the floor grass is still poking through etc but will their wee feet be ok walking on it most of the time? Is the smaller holed chicken wire. Its a good job all in and safe so would hate to cut the floor wire off :/

Any thoughts or will I have to remove it

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    You might run a risk of foot injuries walking on the wire. They could get caught on the wire or develop sores from walking on it. If you don't want to cut it out could you maybe put sand down? Or even another type of bedding?

3. WeeNicole

WeeNicole Chirping

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    I could tho id rather they had the majority grass range. The grass is that long it comes ip past the wire but I suppose they'd still trample down to the wire. Id rather cut it than run the risk of injuries. Just a pity as it seems alot safer on.

4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Is there a way you could extend the wire into the ground or even bend it out around the edge to prevent something from digging underneath. I'm sure there's someone out there who has a wire floor, I just personally feel it's safer and more comfortable not to.

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I don't know the exact size of your coop and run but trust me, it won't take your flock 1-2 weeks and it'll be down to the dirt....history....

Housing chickens on a wire floor is harmful to their feet and ironically to their dispositions...makes one a tad "cranky" .. I know I'd be!

6. WeeNicole

WeeNicole Chirping

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Think yous are right id rather cut it off than have sore chick feet! I found it a tad strange the people before who had it wired it in the first place to be honest. Iv never saw a run with a wired bottom before.

Chicks will be introduced to their newer smaller coop n run in the morning. Theyre first night out last night in the big coop but its too big for them at the minite so I thoughtt a smaller one would hold more heat for them.

Out a fortune already an there only 4 weeks lol

7. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Good luck with you new chicks :)

8. WeeNicole

WeeNicole Chirping

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Thanks. My first bator hatch. They've not met the adult flock nor the ducks yet so the run will introduce them to eachother without the chance adults harming them. Should be interesting lol

9. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Crowing

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    How exciting. Hope the meet goes well when the time comes [​IMG]

10. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Have they started feathering out? With this gosh-awful heat we're all experiencing they should be alright in the new coop, just provide a heat lamp at night if they get cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: