Wire for run and windows question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HippieChick76, Apr 10, 2012.

1. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    I have found a guy locally who builds coops. I'm considering going this route due to my limited carpentry skills and the fact that I need it to look decent since I live in a city neighborhood. He said he usually uses heavy guage 1x2 galvinized welded wire when building coops. Isn't that too big? If so, what size should I be asking for?

Thanks for all of your help! I'm so glad I found this site!

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure about the run, but it seems too big for windows. I use hardware cloth teeny tiny.

Then again, I am not sure what I am afraid of, a two inch 'coon? Snakes, I suppose.

3. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    That does seem large for a coop. Does he have any pictures you can look at of previous coops he has built? I would ask him to build it with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. If you are paying him, you should have a say in what materials are used.

4. HippieChick76

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    I have seen pictures of his coops. It looks like he uses it on the runs and the venting.

So 1/2 in is small enough? I think I'll just tell him that is what I want. Better safe than sorry.

5. HippieChick76

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    I just got off the phone with him. He has no problem customizing any of his existing models or making a totally custom one for me. I think I found the company to go with. With my limited carpentry skill set, I'm afraid the chicks will outgrow the brooder before I could build anything on my own, lol! Now I just have to decide what I want!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by