Wire mesh coop floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Porkbutter, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Porkbutter

Porkbutter New Egg

Jun 20, 2017
    I know that some people use a wire mesh floor in the coop so that the poop just falls to the ground. Would hardware cloth work for this, or will it just plug up with use? What type of wire floor works for you?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! Wire flooring is not a good idea, both for the comfort of your birds, and general coop management. A dirt floor with deep litter works well, or a solid floor, again with deep litter. If you post plans or pictures, we can comment on your design. Mary

3. Porkbutter

Porkbutter New Egg

Jun 20, 2017
    I don't have any pictures, but I am building a chicken tractor. It will have an automatic door to let the birds out to the run a little after sunrise and close again at sunset. There will be some wooden sections so they can enter and move about, and some roosts as well, but the idea is that the coop portion of the design will be primarily for them to roost at night. The mesh is mostly to be under the roost poles.

4. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Chicken poo isn't like rabbits pellets, most won't fall through. Some are golf ball sized and runny. A poopboard under the roost filled with Sweet PDZ works great.

5. Chickassan

Chickassan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2017
    Berea, South Carolina
    Got to also think about toes getting stuck. Even if you think it can't happen they will find a way to get toes stuck in wire.

6. Porkbutter

Porkbutter New Egg

Jun 20, 2017
    I didn't even think of that possibility. Hardware cloth is out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by