Wire meshs' EXPENSIVE cost!

mckeecoop

Hatching
Jul 8, 2016
Jacksonville FL
We are looking at the prices of wire mesh and its really expensive for how much we would need!(like over $1,000!) Chicken wire is much less expensive but we have lots of small rodents like squirrels, rats, mice, possum etc., and wouldn't want to risk our eggs!(we can't free range due to stray cats). Any recommendations for places with cheap wire for our future run and coop?
hmm.png
Or should we spend the money for the outside of the run, and have bird netting on the top? AGH decisions, decisions!
lol.png

I keep buying most all of my hardware cloth and some of my welded wire fencing from Amazon. I have a Prime account with free shipping. I bought my 6' welded wire fencing at TSC when it was on sale(not sure they still have it at this price) 100 ft / 6 ft. High for $129. I got my 4ft. welded wire fencing on Amazon but I would have to check what that price was. I also bought a net on Amazon for the top but haven't used it yet. I will be using it over my duck pen more than likely. For the chicken run we roofed one part and covered the other part with chicken wire. I bought my wire a roll at a time and was stockpiling it....it wasn't a huge hit at once that way. Hope this helps...

Not many use hardware cloth on the run. 2x2 or 2x4 welded wire in 14 gauge is more typical. It wont stop weasels but they are primarily night predators stopped by closing the coop door each night. We've never lost a bird using 2x4 welded wire and a 2x4 wire dig proof apron. Close the door each night every night.

Edit to add- wish I could find the post from about a month ago with great picture of large hole through hardware cloth. Neighbors dog didn't read all the praise of predator stopping hardware cloth is reported to have. Seriously, 14 gauge wire is needed and your not going to find that in a cloth mesh. Hardware cloth works well as small animals can't chew through it, mouths are not small enough to fit through 1/2 inch or weasel chew through 19 guage but it's not strong enough for powerful animals. Large dogs can not chew or tear through 14 guage nor can a skunk or raccoon fit through 2x4 openings. Welded wire or electric or combination of both has proven results on runs. Hardware cloth is better suited for coop openings to keep out weasel.

Rats are another story and you should have a plan of action you'll be using before the birds arrive. Traps, drowning stations or what ever you'll be doing should start from day one so they don't get a foot hold. Once they are established there is no other way to rid them other than poison. I use tamper proof bait stations with chunx bait. If no chicks are in the run a box goes right in the run too.

Last edited:
Hi MckeeCoop, I can't help with the wire mesh but I know about stray and feral cats! I have a herd of them around here. Down to about 5 at the moment but they don't bother the chickens. Had them all spayed and neutered through our county TNR (trap, neuter and return) program. We feed them twice a day and they keep down the rodent and snake population, don't bother the chickens at all and the chickens free range all day.

Of course if one of them started bothering the chickens they would be re-homed elsewhere. Just saying the cats could be beneficial and they loose a lot of their bad instincts of fighting among themselves and be aggressive after being fixed. For a little cat food they will work to keep your area rodent and snake free, win-win!

Good luck!

Kris

I'm using welded wire fencing on the run and hardware cloth at the bottom to go up a couple feet and to create a skirt. The run for my chickens at the moment is chicken wire BUT it is inside an enclosure of weld wire fencing with hardware cloth along the bottom. I am still gonna go back over the chicken wire with some welded wire fencing though. :)

Thanks for all of the responses! We will probably be using windscreen4less.com - their prices are good! Also our stray cats for the most part are fixed and fed by a few houses, so hopefully we won't have a problem with them. As for the rats, we are using traps and posion food. Hopefully we will be constructing some of the coop and run this week, and prepping for chicks!

Back
Top Bottom