1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wire or Cement to secure under the fence?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheSpiceGirls, Nov 6, 2010.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I live in an area that has racoon, skunk and possum. Nothing larger. I'm trying to figure out how to secure under my fenced in run so that critters can dig under and get to my Spice Girls (Ginger, Pumpkin, Coco and Poppy).

One thought is to dig down 10 or so inches and put in welded wire and then back fill with dirt. Another thought is to fill the trench with cement.

The bulk of the work would be in digging the trench all around the run so I could go either way as far as the welded wire or cement. The cement seems more solid and permenant. But the wire would be easier to work with in the future should I want to move things around in the future. I wonder how long welded wire will hold up in the ground or will it just rust out and decompose in a few years?

What have you done that works?

Amy

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    What have you done that works?

Lay a wire "apron" flat on the ground around the outside, and cover it with a couple of inches of dirt so grass will grow up through it to hold it in place.

Attach it to your fence with staples if you have a bottom board, or "J clips" if it's just wire

No digging required

It will last many years before rusting, and then you just lay another piece on top​

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  3. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Well, I sure like the sound of that. How far out from the fence do you lay the wire?

4. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    2ft is fine. the grass grows up around it so in a few months you have to look for it.

5. our 5 chickie babies

our 5 chickie babies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Hello!!
    We dug down 12 inches and out 2 foot. Then we rolled the welded wire up the run 10 inches and secured it with staples.Then we let the wire go down the 12 inches and out the 2 feet and filled back in with dirt.It does require a little labor to do it this way but if you want it done right it is worth a little extra work.We have had foxes,coons,possiums,and dogs try to dig under but gave up after hitting the wire.
    Good luck!
    JIM&LINDY

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I buried wire angled out from the coop and run. I have it about 12" deep at the outside (it's angled down from the edge of the coop/run). Whether it works or not, time will tell. I'm fairly confident though.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

if u dont mind digging, or have a ditch witch, i would bury the wire, if not, the wire apron 2 feet out is the way to go, and it is highly effective, u can see it in action on those lil eggloo things sold for a hundred million dollars online!..... (joking, but i think they are over priced, but ima an elcheapo)

8. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    You could also use those modular wire shelving units. They are 14" square. They are really sturdy and the holes are pretty small.

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    We have had foxes,coons,possiums,and dogs try to dig under but gave up after hitting the wire.

The would have given up sooner IF you hadn't buried it so deep [​IMG]

10. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Okay, burried wire it is. Thanks for all your advice and the photos. Very helpful.

The girls can't go out for several more weeks as they are only two weeks old now. So I have some time to get this last project finished before I put them into their run.

Amy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by