Wire

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bpmarmstrong, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Bpmarmstrong

Bpmarmstrong Egg-dicted

May 26, 2009
    NW, Indiana
    I have my chicks in a cage that has different levels and wire floors. I tried to put paper towels down, but they move them off right away. They seem to really like the cage, but I don't know if it's safe for their feet.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    All of my chicks have been raised in this brooder. I have had no problem with any of their feet. their feeder and waterer stays cleaner.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  3. If your concerned the wire is to large for your chicks, try contact paper on both sides of the cage, making a wire sandwich. You may try only going this to a portrion of your cage and watch to see where the chicks like to be better. You may be able to save yourself some extra work if they don't really require the solid surface:)

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    newchicksnducks, that is a great idea. I did put a pan in my brooder with some pine shaving in it and the chicks did like to lay in the pan.

5. Bpmarmstrong

Bpmarmstrong Egg-dicted

May 26, 2009
    NW, Indiana
    Quote:The holes are smaller than that so i guess they will be ok

6. I always brood my chicks on wire. Just make sure that the wire holes are small enough so they cant get their feet through. I think raising on wire helps to keep the brooder cleaner, since the poop just falls through. Good Luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: