1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WIRED FLOORS ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mahsmaj, Jul 2, 2008.

1. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Is it ok to have wire mesh floors in my chicken coop ? ? ?

2. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Personally I wouldn't want to be walking around on wire all the time., and I feel like chickens wouldn't either. I've seen it done before, but I'd never do it in my coop.

plus I believe your chickens are at a high risk of getting Bumblefoot.

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I have wire on the bottom of mine. My DH insisted he said living on the creek as we do something would dig under and kill them all. He was right because something does dig under and get in the run at night. Of corse the girls are locked up in the coop. I use either pine shavings or straw on the bottom and cover the wire with several inches of bedding. Never have had a problem. It is also easy to clean I scoop it all out and then put in fresh bedding when needed. I am glad he insisted now or I know I would of lost many more with out the wire on the bottom. I also used 1/2 inch welded wire not chicken wire. Hope this helps a little. Cindy

4. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    what is bumblefoot???

5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Quote:It is an infection of the foot. They say five toed chickens are more prone to it than others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by