Wireless thermometer

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mommissan, Aug 16, 2011.

1. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I am using a Lacrosse Technologies 9007 wireless thermometer. I got it from Amazon for about $20. Is anyone else using this? It seems to lose it's signal all different times of day and in all different types of environmental conditions. It's range says 260' and I have it just over 100' away, separated by only a thermal pane window and a chain link fence. Am I expecting too much? All I want to do is monitor the coop temperature at critical times. Should I have spent more money on a "better" wireless thermometer? If so, what?
    [​IMG]

2. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I have a cheap one that I bought at Walmart, and have seen at Home depot & Lowes, for about $10. It claims about 100' and I have no problems with it. However, I have learned that chicken poop goes everywhere. So I put the part that stays in the coop into a plastic baggie to protect it. Also, it is not in direct sunlight or where it is likely to be dropped often. You might want to check the batteries. When my batteries are low it starts to give really weird readings.

3. mommissan

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Thanks briteday. The batteries were new a week ago but I'll give the batteries a try anyway. If that doesn't help, I'll hit the big box stores and see what they've got. I have the transmitter in a plastic baggie too. It's a messy place. I have it out direct sunlight, so that's not the problem. I do however have all kinds of things that create all kinds of RF, i.e. wireless routers, wireless radio fence and our whole house is lit by cf bulbs. Interference from them perhaps.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Mine is 100 ft range too...think I paid $15 for it at Home Depot or Lowes. I've only been using it since February, but it's worked like a champ so far. It's Accu-Rite brand. I think most of the "cheaper" ones have the 100 ft range limit. If yours advertised more than that - I'd say they're full of it [​IMG]

5. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    We have one from Radio Shack. It hangs on the inside of the people door at roosting height. We haven't had any trouble.

6. mommissan

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Ya know.... I read the reviews on a few thermometers from Amazon. In fact, the Accu-rite thermometers got a few bad reviews. I try to keep in mind who is writing these reviews and why. In this case, none of them were using it for a chicken coop. I'll shop around with byc advice instead.

7. mommissan

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Update: I moved the transmitter to the window and now there is only chain link, plexiglass and thermopane between the two. Works perfect now.

8. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    I have an accu rite that I purchased at Lowes and it has worked great for me. Since I keep it in a plastic baggie I don't find the humidity measurement very reliable but the temperature is pretty spot on.

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We use an Acu-Rite for $10 and it's worked great for us so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by