1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wiring an electric thermostat

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newtwinmom, Jan 31, 2014.

1. newtwinmom

newtwinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2012
    East Texas
    Picked up a simple box type thermostat but can't get the thing to work! I'm trying to put it inline with a three prong extension cord. I know the power is going to it and the sensor works because it comes on and correctly reads the temperature when plugged in. I even hear the circuit close when the set temp is reached. However, there isn't power leaving the box! Nothing works plugged into the extension cord! Anybody have experience wiring these? This is what I have right now.

[​IMG]

I cut the cord and put the male end into slots one and two (far left). I put the female ends in slots five and six (the heater slots). The ground ends are under the cap. The temp prob is in its slots. Why isn't this working?!?

2. Hounds51

Hounds51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2014
    Bethel PA

Did you check to see if any voltage is comming out from the heater output terminals? It could be that you have a bad cord end.
    Also some of these will only put out a small voltage so you might need a relay of the approiate size.
    Check your paper work.
    But the best way to tell if it is working is to check for voltage right at the terminals.
    You might need a 12 volt relay to make your circut to work. Check your output terms for both AC out and DC out. If you need a relay, make sure you get one that will handle the wattage that your heating element is drawing, or else you might have a fire.
    Dennis

3. newtwinmom

May 24, 2012
    East Texas
    Oh I must have sounded smarter in my original post then I am! Can you translate that into layman's terms? To check the voltage at the terminals, do I use one of those "is it hot or not" pens that light up?

4. Hounds51

Jan 7, 2014
    Bethel PA
    You might want to find someone that has a volt ohm meter, and have them check the output voltage.
    You also might need some advice from someone who has some electrical backround.
    If I lived closer I would come over and give you a hand. But PA is a long walk to Texas.

5. Daedalus62

Daedalus62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Portugal
    My Coop
    Hi newtwinmom,

Can you tell the maker/model of your thermostat?...

In most (all?) of this kind of thermostats, there's no power coming out of those contacts (your 5/6 and 7/8 connections)... They just act as simple in-line switches, like so...

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  6. Hounds51

Jan 7, 2014
    Bethel PA
  7. newtwinmom

May 24, 2012
    East Texas
    SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?! My better half had no idea what to do with it! We both hold Masters degrees in medicine but have limited experience with electronics. I can change a tire and till my own garden and work cattle horseback better and faster then most men I know so Ill take your little comment with a grain of salt. I've watched a number of you tube videos and wired this using a tutorial posted here. Thanks for your help :/

8. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    They can't help it. hahahahaha You go girl! ;)

9. newtwinmom

May 24, 2012
    East Texas
    Just wanted you to know, I figured this out and it is now working beautifully to keep my seedlings nice and warm overnight in their cold frame. Thanks again for all your overly technical and absolutly unhelpful "assistance".

If any other wives of "their better half" (or the better half, lol) need some layman's level help with these thermostats, PM me!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by