1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wirless Light for Chicken Tractor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by polochic, Apr 19, 2009.

1. polochic

polochic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Aiken, SC
    Has anyone come up with any ideas on putting a wireless light on a timer into a tractor type coop that doesn't have access easily available for a wired light bulb??

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Solar light

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  3. polochic

Apr 19, 2009
    Aiken, SC
    Yes, I did think about solar, but any idea where to get a solar with timer?? Thanks!

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I assume this is for winter egg production? In which case, you may not necessarily need a timer. If you get one of those solar-powered driveway type lights, it will automatically run for some number of hrs after sunset and then shut off (because the charge poops out). Depending on your needs, this might be quite adequate, especially somewhere tiny like a tractor that doesn't need *much* light.

The subject of timers for battery-operated <whatevers> has come up a lot of times on BYC and I do not recall ever seeing anyone have a solution. Presumably it exists somewhere in the world, or could, but my suspicion is that it's quite hard to find and probably expensive. If you do turn up a timer for battery-operated things, though, you would have a LOT of people here wanting to hear about it [​IMG]

Good luck,

Pat

5. mygor

mygor Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Mount Perry , Ohio
    I used one of those driveway lights in my coop. I just had to take it apart and add some wire between the light and the solar panel. has worked great for last 5 years.

6. polochic

Apr 19, 2009
    Aiken, SC
    Thanks very much will try the driveway light.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by