Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by bigzio, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    My hubby is a good hubby. The ceiling went on my coop yesterday. He also built my poop board and roost. Today he made my door a Dutch door and got the door up. Unfortunately the 2x4 it gets attached to is a little warped. But too much is done to do anything other than make it work. It's still wonderful. My dh also had skylights hanging around here, so we have skylights in the coop to let more light in. Since it's inside a shed, it's pretty dark. But these skylights really do help.

The woman came to get her marans from me. I only had 6, but she was fine with that. 6 little poopers are outta here! Then she offered me some ducklings. I know nothing of ducks. She said they're khaki Campbell ducks? Are these good ducks to have???

Be back later....

Oh and FT... It was Amyable or Aplyl that owns Cartman. I think Pickle and Cartman would get along real well. My son will piss on the floor about two seconds his diaper is off if he's standing. One time he had taken an offensive poopy diaper off and then finger painted the kids picnic table. Another time a poopy diaper was taken off and he's standing there, watching tv, poopy diaper between his ankles, just scratching away at his @ss. Really?! Boys are gross.

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Nice novel FT. [​IMG] 'Twas me who had the pooper. Post #19004. Not too far back yet.

Nice day out there. Been building a rock border around a new flower bed. Forgot how long it takes to set the stones so they look right. I landscaped for my dad for 3 summers, and he taught me to be ultra-choosy when doing rockwork. I'll appreciate that when it's finished. Back to it.

3. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    [​IMG]

Boys are definitely gross!!!

Khaki Campbells are very good layers. I know someone who will take them if you don't want them.....[​IMG][​IMG]

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Very funny storys about the carrots jim and EL[​IMG]

And Cartman [​IMG]Amyable

That was fun!

My 5 moderns are such a stich. The neighbor had his back door open the other day and he told me that they had come in the house to visit him. They walked all over investigating every nook and cranny. When I do the chores and am walking back and forth from the house to the coop Mister runs right by my side and the other four are right behind him. And if I am talking to someone in the yard he becomes more and more interested in the conversation. Pretty soon he is sidling over to us and then stops and listens at about 20 feet. If we continue to talk and ignore him he cannot contain himself and has to crow to get noticed. If we continue to ignore him he just continues to try and crow louder. Just that little bird puffing out his chest more and more each time to "belt out a crow" is hilarious. Goofy birds!

I looked in my incubator htis morning and found three sweet little babies. What a mistake, now I am checking it every half an hour.

Have a good day!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin

[​IMG]X2

I finally got my wayward EE separated. Now I know who is laying the light blue robin colored egg. [​IMG]

6. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I just came in for a break.. I got the goose nest built.. after I fixed the cord on my drill..
    found a guinea nest with our first egg in it.. washed all ten laying nests and put fresh shavings in them.. collected 7 eggs from the bar rocks 100% again.. and 4 from the Dels.. 50%
    tomorrow I will set all the accumulated eggs for the past 3 or 4 days..

talked it over with Annie and we are going to let the geese hatch their own eggs.. but they might not have to,, I have two turkeys brooding on the goose nest ..

I am hungry.. coffee and donuts have long since worn off.. steaks on the grill tonight.. I think I will make a sandwich to tide me over..

funny story about the poopy little boy.. I hope you took pictures to show his girlfriends someday..

Our DD#1 was a sh!thead when it came to taking pictures.. told the photographer to go ahead and shoot anyway.. Now we can show her kids how she was when she was little..

I must be psycic .. I can see a shower in my near future..

............jiminwisc.........

7. Bigfamily4me

Bigfamily4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Sauk City WI
    Oh my poppy boy was NOT photographed. I was too busy washing "chocolate" streaks off the table and wall...

8. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Eeeeewwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!! I did NOT need that visualization! [​IMG]

Cute story about your moderns visiting the neighbor, Tiki, but you should tell him to be careful with leaving his door open. I did that a few days ago & had a few ants find their way inside. Better than cleaning chicken crap off the floor, though. [​IMG]

ETA: On further thought, I'd rather clean up chicken poo than finger painting & "chocolate" smears. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  9. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    I certainly HOPE NOT.. they would do better to put it in Stoughton OR Cambridge.
    Oregon has a great Farmer's Co-op with a full service store, and its very close to the Verona Farm and Fleet.
    And there really is NO where for it to be in Oregon.
    I can ask the chamber of commerce OR the village clerk if they know something.
    But I truly hope not.
    I think I will kick my Maran chicks out to the coop/barn after this week I think they will be close to 6 weeks.. they're huge!
    Kristi came and borrowed the little chicks for a play date tomorrow, and low and behold, the one I called a "mystery" white one
    turns out to be a silkie, pre-requisite number of toes, and the widdle domed head too!
    I may jet down to Delavan on Thursday afternoon to see if they have more in the "assorted" bantams..
    OH!! The silkie chick is gonna HAVE to go to Kristi, cuz she has them silkies... Tee hee

10. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sunday Early Evening All.... Oh my gosh, what a nice read here today. I don't know where to start?

First of all, my old women lt brahmas made my day today. They are the reason one really needs a backyard flock of birds. Mine old birds don't forget anything in regards to attention....while I'm not good at typing stories, they are a long one for sure, and won my heart today! Pretty hens.

In regards to keeping produce for the long haul...it's a challenge trying to figure what works best.
    My attached garage is my best friend, and a walk in cooler for months.....spuds off the ground and covered to avoid sunlight works best. Until it gets below 0 outside they are fine....days below that mark, require bringing them in, until the weather allows taking them back out....keep in mind the fridge works best, and mine is still packed with over 50lbs of good eaters yet.

Yep, the carrots are best waitng til frost and then digging, washing, and drying in the sun on the picnic table when the weather is cool for the day til good and dry.....the bags with holes in them work best for using, and then also place in the fridge.....yep, mostly veggies in my 2 fridges for most of the year. works well though.

2/3rds of the way for the early foolish hatch folks....good luck in the next week for you'all!

My hens are laying well, and next week I'll be setting eggs too! It seems like the time just flys by.

Yep...nun is nun....non is the same somehow.....0 seems to come mind?

Took a 10lb shank ham today and sliced a couple thick ham steaks off it. (one for supper) and still had two other packages for future soup and the other ham steak for future grilling.....this baby was only $12....you should of seen the slab I slapped on the grill tonight. Suzie also made scalloped spuds and a pint of home canned beets.....heaven and affordable on any budget.
    Use your knifes....they are money savers...hand meat saws are worth their cost too.

bigz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by