Wisconsin chicken law in zoning RESIDENTIAL SINGLE FAMILY

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by Organics North, Jun 8, 2010.

  1. Organics North

    Organics North Songster

    Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    I am looking to go from 20 some chickens up to 50 or so to sell eggs. I went to the town only because I was going to check on if it was OK to put up a hoop house to keep chickens in.. They said no to the chickens. Called the county and found out I am an outlaw!!!
    I never considered to check. We are remote and rural!
    We live more than 1/2 mile from pavement on a private road. We own 70+ acres the part along the private road (About 20 acres) is zoned residential single family, and according to Oneida county zoning I can not keep 1 pet chicken! Yes we have substantial lakefront, mostly remote marsh and the remaining land is remote and in forest crop.

    I talked to our neighbors. (Mind you 1/4 mile away from us.) All are in support of the chickens. Combined several 100 acres are owned!

    I could stay illegal but it is against my principal. SO I need to change the laws. I need guidance! Would it be best to try and get rezoned? Or try and change the laws for single family zoning?

    Should I get an attorney? What Kind? Any recommendation for Wisconsin specifically Oneida County.

    I am floored! I did not expect this in my rural remote location. I suspect the zoning is because of all the lake frontage. (Swamp mind you.)

    Thanks for any guidance.

    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. Danaus29

    Danaus29 Chirping

    Mar 17, 2010
    Check your states laws (regulations, revised code, legislative rules) regarding agriculture and poultry production. Or call the local Farm Bureau. Or your local extension office. I did a long check here:
    and couldn't find anything.

    It makes Ohio laws simple by comparison. More than 5 acres and agriculture cannot be prohibited.
  3. Sonoran Silkies

    Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

    Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I think that getting the parcel rezoned is probably easier--assuming that you can get all or most of the adjoining property owners to agree. Now if you have any significant property owners who disagree, planning to develop the lakefront property into smaller lotted communities, then you might find some difficulties.

    If that is the case, then you might want to consider having them break single family residential into several zones based upon property sizes, with extra uses for larger properties. Or you migfht want to pursue a change that takes into consideration the amount of land in ones parcel for determining allowable uses.
  4. Organics North

    Organics North Songster

    Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Looking at it last night I am thinking asking for a variance may be the best route to go. Getting changes to the Residential single family zone would be a huge battle and it appears Wisconsin is NOT chicken friendly! I will also look at changing the zoning, but that may be more difficult.

  5. KelBelle

    KelBelle Chirping

    Aug 15, 2010
    What has happened with this situation? I am sorry you are having/had so much trouble. Not all of WI is anti-chicken. I am allowed 100 layers per acre and 500 broilers per acre. Those are numbers I would never dream of maxing out, but at least they aren't super restrictive.
  6. bogwitch

    bogwitch In the Brooder

    Aug 2, 2011
    South Central Wisconsin
    What has happened with this? My folks live in Oneida Co. and their neighbor regularly raises cornish, 50 or so every summer. I wouldn't bring attention to yourself, just keep on keeping on.
  7. Terri O

    Terri O Crowing

    When I lived in Oconomowoc (right in town) I had chickens and geese--I got a variance. As long as the neighbors had no problems with the birds it was OK with the city. They enjoyed the fresh eggs and I got to enjoy my birds! Like previously said--dont draw attention to yourself! T

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: