Wisconsin chicken people

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by zarm, Nov 11, 2013.

1. zarm

zarm Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2013
    I have 2 silkies and 4 big chickens. I need to know if I have to heat the coop. We all know how the winters can get in Wisconsin. We did insulate the whole coop and we also put up plastic to help. Iv read some stuff some people say yes and some say no.[​IMG] They say if you do it can make them sick and also they get frostbite. I just want what is best for my babies...[​IMG] . I'm kinda new with this chicken stuff..

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They should be fine without additional heat, especially if the coop is well insulated. Really, the only reason, in my opinion, for you to provide any heat lamps would be if you have any roosters with large combs. Hens rarely have any problems with frostbite, but roosters can.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Drafts are the problem for chickens. Good ventilation is needed to maintain fresh air, clear of ammonia and excess moisture, for them. The cold won't bother them in a draftless environment. Chickens have nice down comforters to keep them warm.

Chris

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    This always seems so contradictory, draftless but good ventilation.....

The thing is I think a lot of people make their coups too tight trying to trap the heat in, and what happens is that traps moisture, and hens put off a lot of moisture. Dry birds are warmer birds, getting rid of that humidity, needs fresh air coming into the coop, and the moisture high air leaving the coup.
    Excess droppings on the floor can raise the humidity. Lots of dry bedding to absorb that moisture can really help, or routine cleaning it out of the coup.

The thing is, you don't want to close your coup up tight. Your birds need to get out of the wind, have shelter from the wind, but not be in a totally enclosed box.

The best way to keep them warm in very cold weather, is feed them more shortly before bed time in the really cold weather.

Mrs K

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  5. zarm

zarm Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2013
    Thank you everyone for your help. I just what's best for my babies..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by