1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wisconsin Chicken Spa!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by leanna1120, Jan 7, 2015.

1. leanna1120

leanna1120 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2014
    Wisconsin
    This is my first winter as a chicken Mommy. Here in Wisconsin we've had a cold snap that will freeze your nose hair!! I am elated that my 8 X 8 coop is a balmy 18 degrees while it's -9 degrees outside...with windchill -25. My coop is insulated but it is not heated by anything other than 10 cozy 20 week old chickens. I have a lot of sofit and gable ventilation so the humidity is down as well. And just as exciting for me...my nipple watering system has not frozen yet!!! I have a drop in bucket heater and wrapped heat tape around the external nipples. Wow it's a good day to have some chickens !! Now all I need are a few eggs[​IMG]......

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Wow, it sounds like your ready for anything! [​IMG]

3. leanna1120

Sep 18, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I hope so! I just had to express my excitement in a place where it would be appreciated. My family just smiles and nods....they think I'm a little chicken crazy:)

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Most of my friends are like that. But I also have 1 friend who actually owns chickens! So we talk about chicken stuff and other people look at us weird![​IMG]

5. leanna1120

Sep 18, 2014
    Wisconsin
    About 3/4 of my Christmas gifts this year had something to do with chickens. Made me so happy!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by