1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wisconsin Pullet Surprise Youth Contest

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by tiki244, Jul 3, 2011.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin

[​IMG] The 25th Anniversary Pullet Surprise Youth Contest [​IMG]

An extraordinary opportunity for young people with an interest in poultry

Celebrating the memory of Eric Wilhelmi (1972-2002)

*** A young man who influenced the lives of many***

In an attempt to promote the breeding and exhibition of purebred poultry among Wisconsin's youth, the Wisconsin International Poultry Club invites interested youth to apply for the Pullet Surprise.
    The lucky winners in each of two categories will receive a pair of show quality purebred fowl, complete with incubator, caging, feed, a copy of the 2011 edition of The American Standard of Perfection, a one year membership in the WIPC, a poultry carrier and a copy of The 4-H Guide to Raising Chickens by Tara Kindschi. All Awardswill be presented at the 2011 Wisconsin International Poultry Club Show. Birds will be provided by the members of the Wisconsin International Poultry Club.

Contest Rules

1. Applicants must be Wisconsin residents between the ages of 8 and 18 as of January 1, 2011.

2. Entries will be divided into two groups;Please give age as of January 1, 2011.

Junior 8-12

Senior 13-18

3. Each applicant must submit an entry of 500 words or less on one of the following topics:

"Why I Want to Raise Exhibition Poultry"

"Raising Poultry-It's a Family Affair"

"A Humorous Poultry Experience"- Fact or Fiction

"My Most Memorable Moment in Poultry"

"An Original Poultry Poem"

****Entries that exceed 500 words will not be considered***

4.Applicants must send their entry, along with their name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, birthdate, and parent's or guardian's signature postmarked by August 20, 2011 to:

Barbara Gromacki
    Wisconsin APA-ABA Youth Club Advisor
    27225 Ketterhagen Road
    Burlington, WI 53105

5. Winners will be selected by a committee designated by the Wisconsin International Poultry Club. All decisions are final.

6. Winners and their parents or guardians are required to attend the award presentation to be held during the Youth Show at the 2011 WIPC Show on Saturday, September 24, 2011 at the Columbian County Fairgrounds, Portage, WI.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

This is a really cool idea! I wish I had more time on my hands where I could plan for these things. I SO wanted to go to the meet and greet but couldn't do that either [​IMG]

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] Just posting here because it has been quite a while and I was hoping some more people could see this for their kids to obtain some nice show birds.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    August 20th is the deadline [​IMG]

5. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    Tiki,
    Why must they be 8 years old or older?
    My 6 yr old niece would LOVE to enter...
    Will you do this for a few years?
    Thanks
    Carol

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    WIChookchick, I believe they are going to be doing it yearly. And I am not sure why they have to be 8 years old.

7. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    Who won? and what were the breed of the birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by