Wisconsin winter are my chickens ok?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazychickens, Jan 23, 2008.

1. crazychickens

crazychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Belleville, Wisconsin
    I live outside Madison Wisconsin, it is very cold here, we have had -18 wind chills and below zero weather. My hens are in a metal shed. I put two heat light lamps in with them. One to keep there water from freezing and the other so that they could go under it for warmth. They are not using it! Are they dumb or are they not cold? How could they not be cold! I'm cold! Sorry if this is a stuiped question, I have only had hens for 6 months. Thank-you

2. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    They are already well insulated by their feathers. They will be fine. [​IMG]

3. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I live in Michigan and we are having similar weather. I have just a 60 watt light bulb in my shed for my 15 hens and so far they seem to be doing fine. I haven't been leaving their access door open all day long like normal, but only for a few hours. I also give them some scratch in the morning so they can warm up a bit faster.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I feed about 1/3 cracked corn and 2/3 regular feed in the winter to keep them warmer They also dont go outside much

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    If the size of your shed allows for it, you can set up an ( insulated) box type thing INSIDE the coop ... they will use it when they see it is warmer... if they prefer to sleep on a roost then you can also make such within that smaller box...use the foil thingys they sell to put on your windshield to insulate the outside of it. Use a carboard box (shavings in that) if they dont insist on a roost.
    You can also use a glue gun and "glue" cardboard to the inside of the coop...this will help a bit with insulation....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  6. crazychickens

crazychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Belleville, Wisconsin
    Thanks! My hens are all doing good, like its just another day in Wisconsin. I got a little freaked out when I didnt now what to do.
    This is my first time having chickens. I keep thinking something is wrong with them or they are doing something that I think is wierd, then I go and read this web site and find out that they are just being chickens. Thanks again for all your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by