Wisdom needed on next steps

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Finnisher, May 6, 2016.

1. Finnisher

Finnisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2016
    Hi, so i'm going to post some pictures for background:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now i'll tell you my story:

1st. I got coturnix quail eggs which are in the incubator (hatching next week) and realized the by law says that birds of the family phasianidae are not allowed, so then I decided in order to get a bird that's allowed i'd have to go to the exceptions and I decided to get a license to keep Bobwhites (they are endangered and you need a license for that). So my license is approved coming shortly... however they make much more noise than coturnix, bobwhites that is, so I might not get to keep them if neighbours complain.

2. I realized that new world quails aren't of the family phasianidae, however again, I don't want a noisy bird which will cause my neighbours to complain. If my neighbours complain they'll either be taken away or the town will come up with some other by-law.

3. Now get this: Phasianidae aren't of the order Gaviiformes they are of the order Galliformes. See the difference!!! So the town made a mistake/error this loop-hole would allow me to keep quails/chickens etc.

Now I only want to keep coturnix quails and some bobs. For bobs I've been approved of keeping 30 with my license. Now for quails since the town made a mistake and quails are part of Galliformes which aren't on prohibited animals list in the by-laws, would I be able to keep them? If the town comes and investigates my coturnix or bob noise will I be able to go to court/fight (or whatever the process is... idk) it? What are some thoughts/wisdom for me in this situation? My neighborus are very friendly with us, coturnix noise I think they would deal with, bobwhite noise even (maybe) but I don't want to upset them or get into a dispute. If they approach me i'd get rid of them or find a way to make em quiet (move em to shed).

All help would be beneficial.

Thanks

Last edited: May 6, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by