Wisdom of selling my chicken tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gg706, Dec 10, 2012.

1. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I have a chicken tractor. I like it and it is working. I am considering building a regular permenant coop. Chickens are not going anywhere, they are here to stay, as I and the kids enjoy them SO much! My tractor is large and I can't really move it myself....so I have to get my husband to help, which he does NOT enjoy. I am also considering investing in some more chickens as we are not getting enough eggs. So then my chicken tractor will be too small. I don't want to build a regular coop and then wish I had my tractor back. I will have to build my coop then sell my tractor to recoup the investment....I can't really keep both. So once I go for it I can't go back. Has anyone made the switch and been happy or disappointed?

Edited to add...My chickens free range all day unless we are out of town. So the tractor is small to have them locked up in for a few days. I feel sorry for themwhen we go out of town and they are locked up in such a confined space. I also don't find myself moving the tractor much because they are never in it really unless they are sleeping. So it started me thinking a larger permenant coop may work better for me with a large attached pen that they only use when we are out of town???

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I would go ahead and build the coop you need. It's better to build something bigger than you need than have fewer chickens than needed or worse yet too many chickens in too small space. If you end up making things work out to keep the tractor also then even better!

3. cknkids

cknkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Camarillo, CA
    We're also new to chickens this year. We built a coop with an attached run that's large enough to leave them in all the time. Like yours, our chickens spend most days free ranging in the yard, unless we're out of town, then I'm so glad to have enough space to know they're spoiled chickens. Not sure they'd agree, they defiantly prefer being out in the yard, they even come out in the rain and stay under their favorite bush.

You probably want to keep the tractor for a while if your getting more chickens. Remember you need to keep them separated until they're big enough to integrate with your current girls. I've been thinking about this since we're considering getting a few more. I've been mulling over the idea of splitting the house with a chicken wire panel that would allow the new ones access to the run while letting the other free range during the day. Good Luck

4. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    thank you for the replies I think I am going go ahead and build another coop. I did think about keeping the tractor as a brooder, but my husband would not go for it as he doesnt want to spend any more money on my chickens. he does not enjoy them like I do! [​IMG]

5. Baldchewy

Baldchewy New Egg

Dec 6, 2012
    Lorette, Manitoba, Canada
    I am building a tractor coop this year with the hopes that I have to build some more permanent infrastructure. Otherwise put, I hope I like the chickens as much as you seem to. I intend to have them out in our yard when I am outside but I really don't want to tempt the predators we have (hawks, raccoons and dogs). Do you guys have these difficulties as well?

On the building front I would suggest that effort be put into the enclosure as much as the building. That way you can buy yourself a bit more peace of mind if you have to leave them for a more extended period of time.

much obliged,
    Mathieu from Canada

6. KingR0o5t3r

KingR0o5t3r Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Vail AZ
    I can promise that you will love chickens forever lol

7. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    Yes we do have predators around here. I have 2 1/2 fenced acres and 2 dogs that run the property all day. I have a good amount of bushes, etc. to provide the birds some cover from hawks. I have been ranging them all day for several months and have not had anything happen. It is always a possibly, but I feel the chickens are MUCH more happy so for me the benefits outweigh the risk. I think the smell and threat of the dogs in the yard all day helps. Of course my chickens are locked up tight and safe at night. I appreciate your advice on the enclosure, I agree. I could close off the enclosure for use when we are out of town only so the grass could repair itself between trips. I think that would work pretty well.

8. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by