Wisdom teeth removal cost question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Camelot Farms, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

My son needs his wisdom teeth removed...all 4.

If any of you would share with me your financial experience in this, I would appreciate it.

My dentist quoted me about 1500.00 which includes pre-op visit, post op visit and the surgery.

I think its a fair amount considering that they are going to be surgically extracted not just easily slid out.

But of course, his biological contributor is popping a vein over it. Swears that his dentist (650 miles away) can do it for $150.00 a tooth.
    I envision a back alley set up for that price but that may be in part because the biological contributor is a ***BEEEEEEP*** and would subject the boy to something like that to save a buck.

So, throw some numbers out there if you have had any wisdom tooth experience lately. Just round numbers or estimates.

Thank yoU!!

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Well, I paid $800.00 for one molar which needed a root canal after the cap did not stop the pain. Insurance paid the other $800.00. Just local anesthesia. Dang, now another molar needs a root canal.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

ALl four of mine were removed surgically 10 years ago and I gave around $3000.

4. halfwaynowhere

halfwaynowhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    La Puente, CA
    i had two pulled for $500. all four would have been $1000, and that was just pulling, no cutting or anything.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Any chance there is a dental school anywhere near you?

6. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  7. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:My DS had his done at a dental school and I think it was less than $75 per tooth. He told a story afterward about the student dentist struggling for an hour to get the tooth out and the supervising instructor came over and pulled it in about 5 minutes. If you can put up with crap like that, it's a good deal.

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I'd consider a second opinion on whether they need to come out (yet) unless there are obvious problems like them growing sideways or at strange angles. You should be able to see this in the xrays yourself, even.

Dentist prices are a lot like vets. They vary greatly from one place to the next. You might find several hundred dollars difference from one town tot he next, or one side of town to the other. Actually, I've seen several "thousand" difference in estimates from one dentist to another, if that says anything.

Our dentist has told us that my son's wisdom teeth will need to come out eventually. However, he doesn't want to do it yet. He wanted to give them a bit more time to come in, since they aren't at strange angles. He's hoping that by waiting, they'll be long enough to get hold of without surgical extractions. Don't know if anything like that would be appropriate for your son or not, but it's wroth passing on the possibility...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  9. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    That sounds about right to me. DD had an oral surgeon do hers and it was around $2000.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:My nephew just had his done about a month and half ago and it cost around that price for all four teeth to be removed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by