Wish broody Suzy Silkie luck! (PIC ADDED)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JudyMcKinn, May 6, 2007.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Well, my very stubborn silkie, Suzy, determinedly sat on nothing for over a month, and I finally gave up and gave her 10 silkie eggs from her hatchmates, and she has been sitting on them for 20 days today. I candled them a couple days ago, and all seemed to be very developed but 2 clears, which I tossed. I am now waiting with baited breath to see if she manages to hatch something, and also keeping a close eye, as she is in the same coop and pen as Roofus the silkie roo, and 3 other silkie hens. I am hoping they like the babies, but am ready to move them and Mom Suzy to a different coop if there is a problem.
    Wish me luck!

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Wishing you and Suzy luck! [​IMG]

Jody

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Good luck on your hatch, Judy, Isn't Suzy the one you nursed back from Wry Neck? If so, good for her. I hope she is a good mama. I feel sure the babies will be find with Rufus and the others. I am at the point here where if they don't get along I will have to bring the babies in. There are 4 broodies and I have no more places to put anyone. We will see.

4. JudyMcKinn

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Yes, Suzy was my brain damaged pullet, and Diana got me thru getting her back in shape. She is now the most gentle, quiet one of the bunch, which is what has me a bit worried--I don't know if she can protect herself and chicks IF the others bother them. She hatched one last summer--but another silkie hen hatched 2 at the same time, and I brought the babies in that time. will see what happens this time. The other time, I just didn't have a pen setup that was very chick friendly. Not too good this time, either, as they have to go up a ramp to get in the coop. However, Suzy spends a lot of time in the coop anyway, thru choice, so she might not bring them out right away.

5. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    you will have to keep us posted as to what hatches. I have 2 silkie girls sitting on eggs right now, 1 is on day 18 for the first ones (she kept laying even after she was setting) and the other is on day 7 with some muscovy eggs, so she has a LONG time to go. I cant wait to see what hatches. I already have planned to take them in as soon as they start pipping. My rooster will kill them for sure, and these girls would have a fit without their rooster. Keep us posted as to what happens.

6. mountaingirl

mountaingirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2007
    Good luck to Suzy!!!!!!

7. JudyMcKinn

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Well, today is H-day (hatch day) and nothing yet, but am hoping she is just a bit slow, as the eggs all looked full, with a nice sized air pocket, when I candled 3 or 4 days ago.

8. JudyMcKinn

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Just got home from shopping and checked progress this afternoon. Looks like 2 little fuzz-balls in the nest. Might be more, but my sweet natured, gentle little Suzy gave me a rather firm peck when I tried to peek under, so I thought I had better just let her tend to business a while longer. [​IMG]

9. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Yippy, Good for Suzy. Let us know how many she hatches.

10. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    I can't wait, mine are due to start wednesday, I am so excited. But first I will get to follow your adventure! Hopefully many more pop out. How many are you expecting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by