Wish I would have . . .

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jtbrown, Jul 30, 2011.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Power out last night, through a series of events, I am at work, husband and kids are out of town with family and we have no water!!!

Now, when planning for chickens, I assumed we have the generator, if no water will wheel it out, plug in to special outlet we had put on outside of house, we have water. So, I never saved water beyond 5-6 jugs to emergency flush toilet since we got the generator (I didn't do anything to save water so I didn't preserve it for drinking.) I wish I would have stored 10 or 20 gallons for cases just like today. We had a very busy week, our kids' birthdays, parties, company came to stay in middle of week, and plans for me to work all weekend after going out with friends to a jazz festival last night, and husband and kids will be out of town.

We normally are very boring, very schedule oriented, always home in the evening, but not this week, and I didn't specify for husband to check water since we had filled up 5 and 3 gallon waterers night before (but I assumed he would check it, my birds I cannot blame him). Chickens out of water (almost) when I went out this morning to check on them prior to work. I didn't have time to get generator out and back in house prior to work. So, I had to drive to gas station and buy gallons (5) of water, come back home, refill chicken waterers prior to me going to work to take shower before work at 9 a.m. Birds have water, I would never leave little beings in my care without water, regardless of work schedule, be reassured.

So, really putting this out here as a reminder to others (and myself). It is hot here as it is all over the U.S. this week, I thought I had thought of everything and since we had generator, I just knew we would have water (I need to remember, not instantly) and not convenient or quick. Chickens are new to us since our first chicks in March and April. I will be taking care of our water situation tonight, figuring out how to store extra in basement, but wanted to share in case others maybe didn't think it all out like me.[​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What a bummer! And of course these thing happen when you are already at your busiest!

We live in a rural area that part of of hurricane alley- I store washing/livestock water in plastic trashcans and gallon jugs all summer. The gallon jugs, and some 5 gallon jugs, are tucked into corners in the house and the trashcans full are outside, covered to keep the mosquitos out. It get's changed out once a month or so. The old goes to the garden and then clean, fresh water to refill.

I have some regular waterers, but I also use cheap dishpans in the pens, very easy to clean and refill. And yes, if I don't specifically ask DH to do it, he won't even think about it! "YOUR chickens" [​IMG]

Hope it all gets back to normal soon!

3. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Bless your heart! As I was reading your post, I thought....'oh no, the chickens won't have water all day', but then you put the cape on and bent over backwards (or flew over tall buildings....) to make sure they were cared for.

Give yourself a pat on the back lady! YEA! Good Job!

[​IMG]

Oh and made it to work too! Woohooo! Hope the power comes back on so that you don't have to mess with the generator.

4. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG] electric is on, squirreled away some water in jugs until I can come up w more permeant solution. Thanks for understanding. My main point of this post was to confess I didn't plan well and maybe hope someone else would realize how quickly those little creatures who are dependent on us can cause a minor crisis. Electric on, water flowing, birds relatively cool with fans in coops working well!

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Yay and good for you, well done. I got to think on it some more today, when our power decided to take a 45 minute break - in humid, jungle-like coastal SC. [​IMG] At least we still had water!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by