Wish me LUCK bumblefoot style!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SIMPleChick, Sep 11, 2011.

1. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Starting bumblefoot surgery now! Got waterproof bandages for after! I hope it works!!! Wish me luck!!!

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    keep me updated, I just did a surgery too first time.

show picture to if you can after the surgery as it heals.

3. RGBistro

RGBistro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    I was just reading up on how to do this... you will be fine. Good luck!!!

4. SIMPleChick

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    I did it!!! Both hens pooped while waiting for me to finish...LOL We cleaned feet in hot, soapy water, soaked in warm salt water then wrapped the chicken in a pillow case, a lot less bulky than a big towel. Had a scalpel, tweezers, cotton balls, q-tips, bactine, tripple anti-biotic ointment, rubbing alcohol for cleaning scalpel and tweezers as I went. I also had waterproof bandaids. They are VERY delicate in putting on and you have to make sure the rest of the foot is ALL dry and ointment has not spread all over toes when it gets warmed up from body heat.

I did give both hens 1/2 a baby asprin 20 minutes before I started because they do bleed and feel pain, how much I don't know!

Both hens did great and did feel pain but I think I was able to get all the stuff out. I got them before they got too bad. Dark scab with skin being a little pink around edges, showing infection and swelling. I used tweezers and blade to loosten edges and some of them pulled right out! Leaving a little hole/crater. They luckily didn't go too deep and I was satisfied with how pink the wound looked inside, not yellow, so I feel I got mostly all of it. I sprayed multiple times with bactine and made sure blood stopped before packing with tripple anti-bio ointment. Only 1 bumble had a little stringy/gooey stuff under the scab...

I tried to get the waterproof bandaids on the best I could. I want to replace them tomorrow with new ointment. I like how thin they are and can wrap around the feet and toes! I then put a little cushion of cotton and wrapped with brown stretch/sport bandage. I really hope they heal well. I will continue to change bandages and keep them dry. I did the surgery an hour before they put themselves to bed so they went right to the roost!

I did feel bad using the blade. 1 of my chickens had one right under the back toenail, biggest one of them all. I don't like inflicting pain! But I think all went well. I couldn't stop for pictures but there are a lot here for people to see in other posts. I would rather do it myself and when the bumbles are early, rather than spending $350 or more for surgery from a vet....I just can't afford that!

Yes, please post pictures as your hens wounds heal, I will try to do the same!

5. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Did your hens bleed alot, Mine bleed a ton I was really scared she was going to bleed to death! [​IMG]
    I am glad yours went well, I dont think mine went so well. I dont know if I got all the suff out, cause there was so much blood I couldent see what I was doing!
    I felt so bad for my poor little hen [​IMG]

6. SIMPleChick

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    The bigger ones DID bleed a lot. I felt SO BAD!!! But I used compression with cotton until it stopped so I could see enough to keep going of clean it out. Thats what took SO LONG! Like you, don't know if I got it all out but I don't mind changing their bandages every day to keep it clean! When I looked at them today while putting new bandaids on, they looked good! Just going to keep them clean! Thats all I can do! LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by