1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wish me luck, guys.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TheOLDNewChick, Oct 5, 2008.

1. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I'm totally going outside to clean out the coop...it's going to be a dangerous mission, but I feel I am well equipped, and prepared to fight any ickies that may come my way.

Wish me luck, lest I should return!

2. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] LOL [​IMG]

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

4. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I wish you luck Kim. If I ever see you alive again make sure you take a shower before I hug you [​IMG].

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How often do you clean it?

We don't do it twice a day like some folks here, but we sweep and MOP it every week.

My girls really like it when they get new pine shavings each Saturday.

I bring home face masks from the office and my kids do it without me asking.

6. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    PROGRESS.

Another hour, hour & a half and I should be done with cleaning the coop / yard.

Once I get done with that, I think I'm gonna bring in some mulch from the back and re-pack the floor. It's kinda uneven & stuff...

Noticed some damage the hurricanes did to the coop...

Okay, so by noticed, I mean when I leaned against the outside wall, it collapsed. It wasn't a WALL, wall...it's...argh. It's hard to explain. Either way, I've gotta fix that somehow. Not quite sure about that yet.

I need 600 ft of galvanized chicken wire, alot of ply-board, some 2x4's, and a heckuvalotta nails & screws. Then everything should be all better.

7. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Quote:Not that often. See, my chicken coop proves to be a bit different that some of the folks here. It used to by my dutch breeding barn when I was showing rabbits. It's more like a big shed than anything, it's got a packed dirt floor, and is open to the run. So there's not ALOT of accumilation of ickiness in frequent periods. There is, on the other hand, a collection of old feed bags that're currently being moved out.

Once I re-do the outside of it, and fix a couple things, I'll take pictures and show you guys what I mean.

8. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:dont die on me now!!! [​IMG] if i can do, so can you!! [​IMG]

9. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Dude, Justinabear.

You don't understaaaaand.

Bleh.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I understand! When we got the chickens I made it clear that I am not cleaning the coop. We have two teenaged sons and my fiance. We are well equipped to get it done without me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by